1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Getting my MA in Poland. Will it affect my TEFL prospects?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by bluedude588, Nov 13, 2019.

1. bluedude588

bluedude588 New commenter

Hi just looking for some advice. My BA is in history and education, and I am a licensed teacher in the US. I am looking at doing my MA in Poland in Russian Studies. Would this impact my job prospects in the TEFL field? I know some countries have visa requirements that stipulate that your degree must be from an English speaking country, but since my BA is from the US I assume I can check that requirement still. I'd love to be able to teach at a university or international school, which is why I am interested in getting a masters degree. Thanks!

2. Ne11y

Ne11y Occasional commenter

It would depend, I think, where you go. You are, as a qualified teacher, already eligible I would imagine.

I am doubtful an MA in Russian Studies would greatly support a teaching application however, unless it was to teach Russian....

3. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

It shouldn't make a difference to your visa prospects, though some small number of countries might care. Overall, not an issue. If you're qualified for a visa, an additional degree shouldn't change that.
    As for job prospects in general, the degree is rather irrelevant to teaching TEFL. It won't help you get a job, and it won't give you a salary bump. It could potentially work against you slightly if you put your time into this and don't also demonstrate commitment to keeping current with the pedagogy of language learning.
    If you're teaching history and seeking jobs in that field, the MA could be more beneficial.

4. shakes16

shakes16 New commenter

Hi. Why would you love to teach in an int sch? Many int schools do not offer free accommodation (eg Western Europe) and many do not offer miuch more of a salary than you would get teaching in the US or the UK. SOME DO yes but quite a lot do not. I doubt that it will affect your chances in the TEFL field since TEFL only requires a degree in any subject plus a TEFL certificate or a TESOL in the US. EAL at int schools only requires a TEFL too in most cases or they hire English teachers or trailing spouses who can teach English/EAL. So an MA from Poland would probably stand you in good stead actually. I wish I could do an MA in Poland but I am too old now lol. I did mine in a neighbouring country, well tech it is not an MA but I did my time so why not? ;)

5. bluedude588

bluedude588 New commenter

I do hope to eventually teach history at an international school or at a university. You think a MA in Russian Studies would help those goals?

6. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

It could if supported by a matching teaching credential.

7. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

Not related to dumbells are you?