1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Getting my lessons up to a consistent 'Good'

Discussion in 'English' started by j_pink, Jan 2, 2012.

1. j_pink

j_pink New commenter

I'm a NQT and have been getting Good through my training year, but as my school are now using the new proforma (which is quite harsh) I am back to mostly satisfactory with some good.
    I am been told that I need to work on whole class AFL 2-3 times per lesson using white boards (they much about), thumbs (so predictable) and traffic light cards - all of which I have demonstrated in the observed lesson. But I still only reach a satisfactory on learning achieved.
    I feel this is a really hard 'skill' to improve on. Most children are able to demonstrate average or significant learning with higher ability challenged. How do I do better?
    Perhaps it's not the actual learning that's the problem but that actually my observer needs to see that I am proving the learning (for show) which seems really sad and OFSTED-Y.
    How can I show learning without talking much and it still being student led?

2. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

Good luck with that one.

3. polly.glot

polly.glot New commenter

You poor dear. This is educational theory looniness at its worst.

4. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

If you're an NQT your mentor should be helping you out in how to do this.

Hold on - are you saying that every single lesson you have to use whiteboards, thumbs up/down, and traffic light cards? Those poor kids. Any outstanding technique goes to pot if you use the same thing every single lesson.

"Exit passes" can help, also planned questions: project a question on the board with say four possible outcomes, they have thinking time then have to vote 1/2/3/4 through holding up the corresponding number of fingers. You can put these in at key points in the lesson to assess understanding and use questioning to build on it, etc. That's AFL and it's something Dylan Wiliam himself modelled in an inset I went to. But it's not student led...

5. purplefizz

purplefizz New commenter

Use the level criteria (APP or GCSE) and make sure your outcomes are based on these. Show that you are aiming for challenging levels and give the students explicit success criteria based on the levels. They can peer assess against these success criteria and therefore end up with a level for the particular focus of the piece of work.
    E.g.

Level 7: Uses full range of punctuation accurately all the time
    Level 6: Uses a wide range of punctuation accurately most of the time
    Level 5: Uses basic punctuation (e.g. full stops, capital letters, commas) accurately

6. j_pink

j_pink New commenter

Thanks for the replies. I did speak to my mentor. She agreed that it is a bit crazy but there are certain AFL techniques we 'pull out of the bag' for OFSTED. These replies have really helped, mainly as I do many of them anyway I just panicked about the ticking of boxes.
    Another frustrating rule for me to follow...objectives must not be task based...which inevitably ends up with us all putting a "be able to" in front of them :) I used to use questions in my training year: Can you use a full stop? Do you understand the rules of a capital letter?

7. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

But those are closed questions and don't actually demonstrate anything. A pupil will say 'Yes' so as not to look 'thick'. The correct question is 'How/where/when do you use a full stop?' The answer comes back 'At the end of a sentence.' The next question is 'What is a sentence?' - Have fun with that one!