1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Getting my child to school

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Kirsty021280, May 11, 2011.

1. Hi
    I currently work 4 days per week as a teacher at a school that is a 45 min drive from where I live. As a result I have to leave home at 7-7.30am to be in in time to set up for the day. I try to leave work between 4 and 5 to pick up my little girl from her grandparents (Idrop her off at theirs on my way to work in the morning too. She is getting near to nursery and school age and with my husband working 6am-6pm I just wondering how I'm going to get her to school in the mornings with me leaving for work at 7am? Her grandparents do not live close enough to do it and 7.30am really is the latest I can leave. I've been looking for a teaching job closer to home for 3 years nmow and there's nothing (I'm too expensive compared to the NQTs). Similarly my husband cannot find anything else and we can't afford to cut our hours. I'm looking for some ideas. What do other teachers do? Should I get a nanny to take her and collect her from school? Is this expensive? What time do breakfast clubs normally start if schools run them? I could enrole her in the school I work in but then she won't have any local friends.

Any ideas very welcome thanks.

2. Jeez it's like Night of the Living Dead with these "3 posts in 3 years" posters coming out of the woodwork.

3. That made me laugh, 'cos it could have been me on first joining TES!
    Seriously answering the OP though, when I was in a similar situation, I managed to find a child-minder who did the school run thing with several other kids. Dropped son off in am, picked him up pm.
    (As a caveat though, I found out much later that son hated said childminder )

4. Blimey Bauble, it's not a hanging offence! [​IMG] To the OP, I have friends that use child minders who charge a smallish rate for 'local school drop offs'. You can pay to subscribe to www.childcare.co.uk (I've had a look on it before and it's really good) to see what's available in your area and what they offer. Really hope that helps!

5. I apologise if I am wrong but just check out the number of " 3 posts in3 years" posters on the "Outrageous parent stories" thread. there just seems to be a vast increase in "stored names" trying to gain credence. Possibly prior to a summer onslaught of posting. Perhaps I'm being too cynical.

Don't panic Mr. Mainwaring.

6. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

A mate pays £900 a month to have a local unemployed teacher sort this stuff out and work through the post school day with the kids in some sort of structured play/ tutoring mode. It is expensive but he thought it better than an unqualified childminder.

7. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

The FIS (family Information Service) and/or your local council should be able to provide a list of childminders in your area who could help out. I looked at www.childcare.co.uk but it does the same as your council's free list (I believe). I have a similar dilemma, and have realised how advantageous it is to live in a large town/city for a wider choice (we don't!). My husband is able to drop them off at breakfast club, then I pick them up from 2 different childcare providers. It's worth looking at which childminders pick up from which schools when choosing a school too, if you have a choice of schools. We are VERY limited now and we have a serious problem as a result! Also, start talking to other mums if possible to get yourself known and get the word around that you're looking for help, someone may volunteer, especially in the morning. One of the staff at Pre-school helped us out when we told them we were without childcare.
    I wish you luck, because it's a real nightmare, speaking from experience. However, something usually turns up - don't despair!! If all else fails, can your child go to your school? Not ideal, but it's something I've had to consider.

8. An Aupairwould be cheaper than a nanny, but you would have to provide accomodation.

Have you got an FE college near? A second year CACHE student (or maybe two) might be looking for something part time.
    What about a parent of an other child at nursery? A stay at home mum who would welcome a few pounds extra.

Could you put her in school near your parents?

9. £900 a month for how many kids???????
    Childminders may not have formal qualifications but if th
    ey can provide a "home from home" for a couple of hours a day where is the harm?

10. The thread about outrageous parents was linked in an email from TES updating people.
    If I get a job we will be using a childminder.

11. Childminders have to be inspected by OFSTED and provide structured activities for the children they care for.....
    An unqualified childminder? Do parents have to be qualified?

12. Work part time or give up your job. All the other options are souless.

13. lurk_much

Yes I thought it was overly fussy but they were dissatisfied with the childminders they tried. The person they employ (an early-retired Polish schoolteacher) comes round at 7:30, sorts them out, drops the kids off, picks them up and works 'productively' with them until 6:30 four days a week. My mate only works four days, he thinks it is working out quite well for them.

14. Childminder

15. madenglishgirl

madenglishgirl New commenter

So let me gets this right... this person works what an hour in the morning does the drop off and then works for another 3 hours after school and does b*gger all during the rest of the time? Gissa job I could do that!

On the other hand, my CM is fantastic and has had my daughter since she was 18 months old. She drops her off to Nursery in the morning and picks her up in the afternoon AND drops her back at mine at the end of the day - all for the bargain price of £25 a day.

16. lurk_much

17. Mrs Music

Mrs Music New commenter

Like some others I would say childminder. Ring your council for a list of local childminders and go and visit some. Our daughter isn't school age yet but goes to a childminder a few days a week, and she looks after two other children before school, drops them off, and then after school too. We're really happy with our childminder as it's very much 'home from home'.

18. breadmaker

breadmaker New commenter

Very tricky one this as schools do sometimes offer breakfast clubs, but that doesn't mean you can rely on them as they may change from one year to the next. They don't usually start until 8:00 a.m. anyway.
    I would ask the school she is going to if they know of any local childminders or ask at your nearest Children's Centre if they do. If either do, you must specify that you need to drop her at 7:30, which is early for most CM's, but not having her in the holidays on half-pay, may tempt them to consider it. Only use recommended ones though and ask if you can ring other parents of children they mind for a telephone reference- go with your instinct.
    Maybe, and it may be a long shot, you could approach your HT and ask to spread your 4 days over 5 so that you get into work later but come in for 5 days? I know that depends on your role and obviously if you are in a class, that's not going to work.
    Good luck- a very tricky situation for you.

19. breadmaker

breadmaker New commenter

Just read this and would urge you to ONLY use qualified childminders. I have trained some childminders on EYFS and the gaps in their knowledge re: safety, health and safeguarding when we first started off were very worrying. Don't assume everyone has common sense!

20. Hi
    It is a tricky one. my daughters' breakfast club opens at 7.30 which is the very latest I could drop off as well. After school club is on until 6. Before my youngest started school she went to a fab childminder who was registered with the children's info service in our town. Times could be negotiated. There were some children there from about 6.30 I believe as their mum worked shifts.
    Hope that helps a bit.