1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Getting 'laid off' by supply agencies

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by albertdog, Jul 28, 2011.

1. In the last few weeks, I have had a few e-mails from agencies indicating that they have 'a surplus of staff on their books' and that 'we will be unlikely to assist you in finding work next year'. In other words, giving me 'the push'. I wonder whether anyone else has been in receipt of such messages?

2. vou

vou

OMG!! Just when you think you're hit the bottom - it just gets worse!! I would be hopping mad!! It's bad enough they don't want to employ us as permanent full time teachers - the agencies are now getting picky!! It's not like they are paying us the proper rate of pay!! albertdog - I feel for you!!

3. In fairness to the agencies they are for once actually treating you like a human being and doing the right thing. They could, as has really been the case up until now, have just been stringing you along with false promises and downright lies promising work. At least they have been honest with you. You know they will give you no work so can begin to look for alternative employment. The loss of supply teaching is no loss at all. You will be better off finding something else. I wish you the very best of luck in your search.

4. Thank you for your support, everyone. I suppose I was hoping to find that being dropped by an agency was a common experience, which, judging by peoples responses, it is not. I agree that it could be said the agencies were being decent by being frank with me, but this particular one, from which I heard today, only took £48 from me for a CRB three weeks ago, when putting me forward for a 'suitable position'.

5. I do feel as if I have reached rock bottom, and then continued my descent. Teachers Pensions have messed up yet again, leaving me without an income until it can be 'sorted out', a situation I have had no success in explaining to the JSA people. There are no other possibilities of employment, as far as I, and everyone else to whom i have turned for help, can see. The only prospect on my horizon at the moment is a short adult literacy course, offered to me by the 50+ scheme. (BTW: that means means teaching me to read and write).

6. That's why I said "for once" they had done the decent thing. In 11 years of doing supply I have never known an agency to do the decent thing before. I consider them to be parasites that have killed off the host, ie us, and yet still seem to continue to thrive. They have become little more than modern day "grifters".

7. To add insult to injury to injury, the very same agency is advertising for supply teachers, asking "Are you getting the support you need? Register now for immediate work."

8. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Oh, perhaps you could go along & they might hire you to run the next course!
    Joking aside, I went to a 'interview practice & advice' session where I ran rings round the course leader!

9. AlwaysAdaptable

AlwaysAdaptable New commenter

I've been following your problems with supply agencies and feel for you. I have not known anyone to go through this. I even know of ex-heads, who really do not need to work, but do it to keep their brains ticking, do work as cover supervisors (shame on them). Have you tried private tutoring?. A friends son goes to a private tutor who does 11+, maths and English. She undercuts tuition centres and charges about £15.00 for an hour and a half. Does it from home. But will only take 6 kids per session. (according to year group). She does it after school hours 3 or 4 evenings a week (8 to 10 sessions). I hear she has to turn business away, as she is in demand. (mainly because she is a qualified teacher a lot of tuition centres have uni students making a quick buck)
    You already have various CRB's so there is no problem there, parents like to see CRBs. She is all legit and also pays NI and tax on her earnings. I don't know what your tax position is, you dont have to do too many sessions. She also does some 1 to 1 through an agency in schools. My advice is don't appear too desperate, these agencies can see right through it. Good luck I hope something turns up.

10. Thank you very much for your kind and considerate reply. I have registered with the national 1-2-1 register for schools but nothing has ever come of it. I am registered with three tuition agencies but, again, nothing has ever materialised within 40 miles of me. I have joined a couple of home tutoring agencies, but the only things I have got are referrals from LEAs, which demand a lot of paper work and, ultimately, never pay you anything. I thought of doing home tutoring off my own bat: so i sent mail-shots to schools, youth centres etc, and put my details online and placed adds in local papers at, what I thought, would be apposite times of the year. The result? Absolutely no response whatsoever!
    I would be interested in any tips anyone coudl give me of how to go about private tutoring in a successful way.

11. jj80

jj80 New commenter

private tutoring can be a scary too! lol Dealing with the general public on your own and get a bit scary! lol I tried it last year but I was so astounded by the responses from parents, their spelling and grammar, wanting me to tudor their neighbours as well in the same group and not being pleased at my price. I gave up in the end!

12. at least they have the courtesy to let you know you wont get work. I just got ignored or tagged with false promises.

13. Last year I applied to an agency in June and was given an interview date for the end of November. This was then cancelled a week before it was due. I gathered rom talking to people that only NQTs had been taken on by the agency, all experienced people weren't even interviewed. So don't take it personally, it's just hard at the moment.

14. Oh dear, that's just depressed me even more. I suppose even supply agencies are ruthless when it comes to money - charge the school £200, pay the NQT £90, or pay the more experienced teacher £130 (quite frankly I don't see why I should work for less than that, I'm experienced).
    Looks like I might be signing on for a while then :(

15. Albert Dog (Nice name)....My best advice to you is to use your strengths. People forget what university and life should have taught them. Be versatile. Anyway......depending on your subject strengths-private tutoringn has done me well for the last five years. Although no longer a supply teacher i still tutor regular. If you have a maths brain your laughing. If not stick to your subject and advertise for A levels. Good luck.