1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Getting jobs when school years different/job abroad when partner not a GP

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by beth18taylor, Mar 8, 2017.

1. beth18taylor

beth18taylor New commenter

Hi all,

I'm a Biology/Science teacher working in the north west. I'm very fortunate as I have recently been offered a sabbatical from my school beginning at the end of this school year. My partner is a GP and we both want to try moving abroad for a year to try the international life!

I don't really know where to start though! My boyfriend can only really work in countries such as New Zealand,Australia or Singapore. There are some teaching jobs here but from what I see, there are very different term dates. There are currently no jobs starting in term 3 and I'm worried that if I accept the sabbatical, I will then find there are no jobs coming out with a term 3 start and have to wait until January for a job, reducing my time abroad! Does anyone know if there tends to be term 3 start dates released?

Also, does anyone have any other ideas of places/companies etc that would be interested in both a doctor and a teacher?

Has any other teachers gone to teach abroad with a partner who is not a teacher?

Any advice would be amazing! Thank you.

2. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Im sure there are plenty of charities that would happily take you both. The vast majority of international schools will have a minimum 2 year initial contract. It costs a lot to recruit and get you there. And if they know its only for a short period, then you are going home, most half decent schools wont touch you, as they actively look to retain teachers.

To fit in to your time frame you are going to have to look at more northen hemisphere countries, although i now work south of the equator, but we have a northen hemisphere holiday calendar, so they do exist.

Try charities if i was you, VSO etc.

Good luck

beth18taylor likes this.
  3. Arepa

Arepa New commenter

As dumbbell pointed out a 1 year position in a school is difficult to find, particularly in the countries you listed. It should be easier to find a one year GP position. Perhaps, your partner should open up the range of countries in which he is interested. I would investigate some of the remaining British possessions like St. Helena and the Falklands. If you are determined on the antipodes, there are some island states which a UK trained GP should, I would think, could work: e.g. Vanuatu, Fiji, Papua New Guinea (certainly you would have some amazing stories to tell when you return). You could investigate the international schools there or their Ministries of Education for teaching positions. They probably have serious needs for qualified science teachers and would welcome you at anytime. Good luck.

beth18taylor likes this.
  4. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

Even if 1 year jobs were there, I wouldn't recommend it. Moving to the other side of the world is such a huge thing that by the time you've settled in it will be time to move back again.

beth18taylor and dumbbells66 like this.
  5. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

@beth18taylor

You could get a working holiday visa for Aus if you're young enough. But registering to teach there is a lengthy process, so you'd be better off doing other work instead.

You could teach EFL for a year anywhere in the world. No money in it, but it allows immersion in another country.

What do you mean when you say you want to try 'international life'? Do you mean simply living in a different country for a while?

beth18taylor likes this.
  6. skeptucator

skeptucator Occasional commenter

I know of a conservation charity who would jump at the chance to hire a biology teacher and a GP, for their field research season from April to August.

They work out of various countries all around the world and would pay for your flights, all food and accommodation. You wouldn't be paid but you'd have no outgoing costs either.

Send me a private message if you are interested in finding about more about their work, I'm not sure I'm able to name them here as I've done so in the past and my posts have been removed.

7. andyhallheadland

andyhallheadland New commenter

Hi,
    My Wife is a GP and I am a physics teacher. We are currently working for a year in New Zealand. If you want to know details about life as a GP or teacher out here PM me. We are both having a great time.