1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Getting into Teaching

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by GrahamL83, Aug 8, 2011.

1. I'm looking to change careers, and I really want to teach at a Primary level. I have only recently started looking into teaching, and I was wondering what people thought would be the better route. A PGCE or an SCITT with an integrated PCGE?

Any help or advice on this would be amazing and I will be forever grateful.

2. I'm looking to change careers, and I really want to teach at a Primary level. I have only recently started looking into teaching, and I was wondering what people thought would be the better route. A PGCE or an SCITT with an integrated PCGE?

Any help or advice on this would be amazing and I will be forever grateful.

3. Hi What is SCITT???
    I am new to England and wanting to find out about a PGCE Secondary for my daughter. I thought this was the only way to become a teacher?

4. so if you were already working in a school could you do the PGCE or SCITT and still work? Could you do a PGCE distance Ed?

5. MizUnderstood

MizUnderstood New commenter

The school can put you through GTP training (if they have the budget and time to do so), SCITT placements tend to be chosen by the provider, although a couple of them do allow you to find your own placement school although this is rare as schools need to be trained and on their partnership list.
    There are part-time PGCEs offered by some Unis and The Open University does some Secondary PGCEs but again, the placement schools are usually chosen for you.
    I don't know what job you are currently doing in a school, but it's unlikely you could continue in the role as it is (e.g. TA, CS), unless you were doing a part time PGCE and a part time job. The PGCE can't be done as a sideline even with the OU you have to have x amount of weeks of teaching practise over the time.