1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Getting into teaching with a pass

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by anami796, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Hello dear members. I have applied to universities this year but have already been rejected by 2 due to my pass grade at degree level. I applied for pgce secondary maths and have been working with children and tutoring gcse students in mathematics for a long time. I have also undertaken the Undergraduate Ambassador Scheme and worked in a secondary school helping out the maths teacher as a ta. The reason for my pass grade was due to my dad's illness in my 3rd year causing distress in the house and being the eldest I had a lot of responsibilities. Now I just feel like it's impossible for me to get into teaching but this is the only thing I can imagine myself doing. Someone please help!

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Which universities did you apply to? Some will be more picky about the candidates they accept than others.

3. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

You may stand more chance applying to schools for School Direct QTS. I doubt you't get a place on a University based PGCE.

4. Emttp

Emttp New commenter

The East Midlands Teacher Training Partnership considers applicants with all classes of degree ... see their website for clarification.

5. bubble66

bubble66 New commenter

I have a similar issue due to having an non honors degree. Mine was way back in 1988! However there are 2 possibilites that can be open to you
    - You can top up your degree with units from OU if you took it less than 16 years ago.
    - Brighton University run a 2 year BA hons in Maths for people just like us. you get a bursary for 2nd year of it of 9K.

6. Findlotte

Findlotte Established commenter

Apply for a QTS instead of a PGCE?

7. lizziclaire88

lizziclaire88 New commenter

Bangor university took people with a pass at degree level