1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Getting into teaching SEN.

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by Chubacka, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I am looking to get into teaching children with SEN. I am currently an NQT in a primary sch, and I am wondering if there are any course I can do to help me apply for SEN teacher roles in the future.
    thanks in advance

2. Hi,
    I am looking to get into teaching children with SEN. I am currently an NQT in a primary sch, and I am wondering if there are any course I can do to help me apply for SEN teacher roles in the future.
    thanks in advance

3. Hi Chubacka,
    I am also an NQT but in secondary science, I have very recently taken on responsibility to become a link between SEN and science, perhaps we can swap emails and share resources?
    Im x

4. Dodros

Dodros Senior commenter

In the mid 1990s I moved from my mainstream secondary school's MFL department to its SEN department. I applied to do an Advanced Diploma in Special Needs in Education with the Open University and completed the course in two years. The course was excellent, helping me very well with my career move, and I was able to base my assignments on my work with students with SEN at my school. There was an exam at the end of the first year, but class attendance was infrequent and voluntary, so it was easier with the OU than it was on many part-time university courses to combine study with a full-time teaching job. Have a look at what the Open University currently has to offer in the way of special needs/diversity in education or educational inclusion.