1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Getting into teaching after tutoring

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by TinaTutor, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Hi. I really would appreciate some advice!
    I'm 26 years old and I completed a Business Management degree. However, after graduation, I did not find office work appealing and instead became a private tutor. I've done it for 5 years and have gained a extensive knowledge and experience of teaching English, Maths and Science from Key stage 1 to GCSE level. I've even set up my own tutoring centre and hired people to teach with me- giving them coaching on handling behaviour/explaining etc. It's a mini classroom situation, where I teach a group of students at the whiteboard, help them with exercises, mark papers etc
    I've wasted a lot of time being unsure of what I wanted to do with my life. It's only just hit me now that teaching is ME and it's what I want more than anything! I know about all the negatives and the stresses, but in the end, I know this is what I'm meant to be doing. I think I can be good at it as all of my students (I teach groups and one to one) enjoy our lessons and tell me they think I'm the best tutor they've ever had! I know that teaching 30 kids in a classroom is very different, but I'm prepared to give it a shot!
    So the question is how best to get into teaching? I'd like to teach primary I think, although I suppose I could also do Maths at secondary (as it is the closest match to my degree). How would I go about it? What training should I apply for and are there jobs out there for people like me? Is the PGCE the best option? -Is it far too late to apply for sept 2012?
    Do you think I'd stand a chance against all the competition?
    Thank you in advance!

2. Hi. I really would appreciate some advice!
    I'm 26 years old and I completed a Business Management degree. However, after graduation, I did not find office work appealing and instead became a private tutor. I've done it for 5 years and have gained a extensive knowledge and experience of teaching English, Maths and Science from Key stage 1 to GCSE level. I've even set up my own tutoring centre and hired people to teach with me- giving them coaching on handling behaviour/explaining etc. It's a mini classroom situation, where I teach a group of students at the whiteboard, help them with exercises, mark papers etc
    I've wasted a lot of time being unsure of what I wanted to do with my life. It's only just hit me now that teaching is ME and it's what I want more than anything! I know about all the negatives and the stresses, but in the end, I know this is what I'm meant to be doing. I think I can be good at it as all of my students (I teach groups and one to one) enjoy our lessons and tell me they think I'm the best tutor they've ever had! I know that teaching 30 kids in a classroom is very different, but I'm prepared to give it a shot!
    So the question is how best to get into teaching? I'd like to teach primary I think, although I suppose I could also do Maths at secondary (as it is the closest match to my degree). How would I go about it? What training should I apply for and are there jobs out there for people like me? Is the PGCE the best option? -Is it far too late to apply for sept 2012?
    Do you think I'd stand a chance against all the competition?
    Thank you in advance!

3. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

You have a degree so your best option is the PGCE. Check the GTTR website to find out about vacancies that still exist for September entry. I would imagine that primary are very full by now but worth taking a look. Maths is less competitive but you may find they want you to complete a subject enhancement course if you take this option.
    Gaining a place on a primary pgce is far more competitive than secondary maths but you do have a good background. You will generally need some experience of observing in a school classroom before applying. I am guessing you teach post 16 now? They will want you to see what it is actually like in a school classroom in the present day.
    I am secondary but understand from these forums that there are about 200 applicants chasing each primary teacher job so competition is fierce for jobs once you qualify. Secondary Maths is not as competitive.

4. Thanks very much! I do think priamry would be a better option for me, but I would like to be able to teach secondary in the distant future! If you're trained in Primary, is it then possible to apply for a secondary post (provided you can prove capability/experience?)
    I still tutor under 16s, but I'm going to try to get voluntary in the summer term at both primary and secondary schools.
    Is the PGCE route better than GTP? Or does it not really make much difference in the long run?

5. It is excellent to see that you have now decided that teaching is the career is for you. All your experience will strengthen your application to teacher training but you would need to gain some classroom experience with the age group you would like to teach. If you spend some time in both primary and secondary schools, this should help you make your decision between primary and secondary. You may also be interested to know that secondary maths is currently a priority subject and PGCE bursaries range up to £20,000 depending on your degree grade.
    When you have gained QTS, you are effectively qualified to teach at both levels so you are not limited to the subject or level you trained in. It is a good idea to speak to course providers regarding subject knowledge as there are subject knowledge enhancement courses for candidates wishing to teach maths.
    Both the GTP and PGCE award QTS and schools look for the best candidate for the needs of the school rather than the training route. The GTP is the more competitive route and should you, sometime in the future, choose to teach abroad, some countries prefer the PGCE.
    Although there is competition for places, you can improve your chances by gaining as much classroom experience as you can. Your enthusiasm for teaching and your tutoring experience will help you make a strong application. Have a look at the application tips on our website www.education.gov.uk/get-into-teaching/apply-for-teacher-training.
    It is certainly possible for you to apply for this year for the PGCE. You can find contact details for course providers with vacancies and make an online application via www.gttr.ac.uk. GTP providers tend to set their own deadlines.
    Good luck with whichever route you choose to take and I hope you have a very successful teaching career.
    Lin Hinnigan, Teaching Agency

6. Thank you so much for that reply! It was very helpful indeed!