1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Getting into supply teaching

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by twigtwig, Feb 8, 2012.

1. twigtwig

twigtwig New commenter

Hello all

I'll be returning to the UK in June after working in an international school for 3 years. I'm applying for work at home but i think i may have to start supply in September. How do i go about it? What are the best agencies or do i register with the LEA.

I've got 6 years experience so what sort of day rates could i expect.

Thanks

2. twigtwig

twigtwig New commenter

Hello all

I'll be returning to the UK in June after working in an international school for 3 years. I'm applying for work at home but i think i may have to start supply in September. How do i go about it? What are the best agencies or do i register with the LEA.

I've got 6 years experience so what sort of day rates could i expect.

Thanks

3. I would check out some agencies in your area and see what they want paperwork wise.
    For a CRB check you need last five years of addresses, if you have worked abroad you may need some police clearence stuff from the country you have been in.
    Supply teaching is getting more and more complex, New regs (agency worker regulations) will probably be making things even more so.
    For the first twelve weeks in a school starting from the first day you work in a school, and even if you only do one day, for the first 12 weeks an agency will pay you what they like, you need to negotiate up.
    Ball park figure is you say £130 and you will probably get £120 per day if you are lucky.
    LEA supply pools a possiblitiy however most have closed down and handed the biz to the agencies

4. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

prioritise LA supply if they still run a register or if they have a nominated agency to run it for them. That will mean getting your correct pay point and being able to contribute to the TPS if pay still comes via the LA (as it does in Lancashire wher the LA agency is Reed but goes under the 'sub-title' of the Lancashire Teaching Agency).
    If you worked for 3 years in a UK contract post before going abroad, you will have finished on M3 at least and would have been getting M4 at least had you stayed on. M4 (or whatever the next point up on your last paypoint is) will be your next LA paypoint for contracted or LA supply work.
    Supply work is die in most areas of the UK and schools are massively into using Cover Supervisors. The CS role requires a Grade C in English and Maths and is not supposed to involve active teaching. Schools are quite happy to employ qualified teachers on CS rates (a third to a half of teacher rates) and many teachers have had no alternative but to accept the exploitation.
    There has been no study to establish if CSs are simply handing out worksheets and textbooks and supervising the pupils without helping them to achieve tasks.
    You will definitely need overseas Police clearances for getting a CRB clearance in the UK. Contact your UK LA and ask what steps you can take to expedite things before you return or you could be waiting months before being cleared to accept work with children.

5. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

LA paid supply work for M6 (outside London and The Fringe area) is £162 per day.