1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Getting into Leadership

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by corker86, Oct 7, 2018.

1. corker86

corker86 New commenter

Hi all,

I’m after a bit of advice on how to progress into leadership. What are other people’s experiences? I work under a very good HoD who shows no signs of moving on from their role, so am struggling to progress that way, but ideally in the next few years I’d like to get into an Assistant Head role. Is there any qualification or anything that anyone else has undertaken or could recommend?

Thank you all in advance,

C

2. install

install Star commenter

Talk to your boss. See what they advise. Also consider why you want the role of Assistant Head and what you would like to do at Whole School Level. :cool:

3. SCAW12

SCAW12 Occasional commenter

Speak to an approachable member of SLT. Tell them you are keen to move up the ladder and ask if there is a whole school/year group initiative you could volunteer to take ownership of unpaid e.g. student voice, organising activities week, organising a STEM/Literacy/Careers day. You have to stand out from the rest and have something to put on a CV to progress.

Pomza and caterpillartobutterfly like this.
  4. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Look at some AHT ads; see what experience they want, then start acquiring/evidencing such experience...

digoryvenn likes this.
  5. corker86

corker86 New commenter

Thank you all very much for taking the time to reply.

I have spoken to a member of SLT, and think the idea of looking at job adverts and building experience is a really positive one.

Thanks again!