1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Getting interviews but not the Job

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by lolaarcana, Feb 14, 2019.

1. lolaarcana

lolaarcana New commenter

I am currently being bullied at my job and I am trying to leave. I keep getting interviewed but not getting the position.
    I get good feedback but I am told that I was just not as good as the other candidate.
    I am getting so depressed I just want to quit.

What can I do?

2. SCAW12

SCAW12 Occasional commenter

Sometimes it is also a case of would you fit that school. Keep going. You will be successful. Good luck!

agathamorse and steely1 like this.
  3. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

You clearly have the right experience and complete a good application as you are getting interviews. So the problem is either the interview or the observation (assuming you have been asked to teach a short lesson to a class or group). You could try asking for more specific feedback - 'not as good as the other candidate' - is not helpful at all! Keep going, there will be a job out there with your name on it!

agathamorse and steely1 like this.
  4. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

Or it could be money. If you are on M6 and they appointed an NQT being as good as the other candidate actually isnt enough, you have to be over £10K a year better!

I once went through a spell of DOUBLE FIGURES of interviews before getting a position, by which point my cynicism of the process was roughly as deep as the Earth's core. Its a numbers game, keep going!

5. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Oh @lolaarcana Its just a lottery. You number will come up and in the meantime you're getting interview practice. Chin up!

agathamorse likes this.
  6. Kubrick2001

Kubrick2001 New commenter

Well done for getting interviews, like everyone else has said, your numbers will come up. Don't quit, there will be something soon.

agathamorse likes this.
  7. koopatroopa

koopatroopa Senior commenter

Sometimes interviews are decided on tiny things, especially if you get a couple of really good candidates. It does just take time to find a school you click with.

If it happens again, I would ask what the successful candidate did or said that impressed the interview panel. Obviously they can't tell you specifics but it can give you a close as to which aspect of your own answers you need to work on.

StevieJacks and agathamorse like this.
  8. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

The replies about interviews are good, that your job is out there and you have to keep trying.
    But you don't just present that issue in your opening post, you also say how awful your current place is making you feel
    What if, at each interview,you are the only candidate who currently feels this way. Who knows? How are you going to project to the panel that you really want this job in this school because you are the best candidate and it is the best school for you?
    Because if you want a job, any job, just to escape your current job, it is a challenge to make this shine through.
    Are you enthusing about your current place if you allude to your current role? Are you singling out relatable features of the potential new school which are feasibly the only reason you might want to change? Are you asking the right questions, projecting the right reasons for wanting to move on?
    All of these things represent a degree of acting for you, for none of them are truly as relevant as the fact that you just want out.
    How well are you hiding that?
    It's just a consideration, given that your opening post is basically (understandably) glum.

annascience2012 and CWadd like this.
  9. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Excellent advice from @sbkrobson. I echo it. Schools want pilgrims - not refugees. Its very easy to feel negative about a bad situation, and let that come over in an interview. Its not your fault - but when you're at that interview, forget the bad place. Focus on the fact you're a good teacher and deserve a new position. Tell them what you can do for them, not what they can do for you.

Good luck - keep in touch on here to let us know how it pans out.

sbkrobson and marmitemate like this.