1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

getting internet sorted when you move house

Discussion in 'Personal' started by slippeddisc, Apr 15, 2012.

1. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

I will be moving in July (fingers crossed) and will need to get internet sorted PDQ. I remember when I moved into my current flat that this took 6-8 weeks (can't remember exactly how long but this is approx how long it took). I would need internet quicker than this as my job relies on it. What would my options be? I would be happy to get this linked to a TV phone package but it doesn't have to be. I don't know whether the place I am moving in to has a current phone line etc as I am buying and I am choosing between 2 places I like. I would know this nearer the time and could check who there current providers are if that speeds things up at all?
    Any ideas? In the past when it took a while to get internet sorted I used a dongle but for my current job I don't think the speed of a dongle would suffice.
    Thanks for any help, info and advice.

2. I did this recently. Arranged the whole package with Sky. They checked the phone line for me and sent broadband box etc. Phone line was set up on the day I moved in and intenet was activate that day. Engineer came following week to put in Sky box, but internet was not dependent on this.

3. slippeddisc

Wow, you're kidding. That's fab. When I rang around when moving into this flat no company could do quicker than 6 weeks.

4. Cestrian

Cestrian New commenter

Say what you like about BT (and plenty have done!), we arranged a switch-over when we moved house recently, admittedly within the same city, but it went off at old house and on at new house within an hour. We had provisionally booked the date about 4 weeks in advance, but then had to put it back by a week which posed no problem, as we were already "in the system". The more notice you can give (with any provider, I should think), the better. Good luck!

5. Benbamboo

Benbamboo Occasional commenter

Pretty much the same happened here. We were with BT, phoned them a few weeks before and agreed on a switch over date. On that date we lost internet in our rented flat and gained it in out shiny new home. I don't know about 'within an hour' but it was definitely on the date we agreed.
    I really don't see what can take 6 weeks though...

6. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

Virgin do the same, just ring them and let them know when you are moving. Mine rang me on the day to tell me an exact time and even helped me to unload some boxes from the van!

7. slippeddisc

Tell me about it. Neither do I!
    Thanks everyone. I hope Virgin or Sky can do it a lot quicker then. We didn't really check them out last time because we only wanted simple internet and not anything else. This time I probably will go for a phone TV internet deal. Any reccomendations welcome.
    I will never go back to BT after they made me cry!

8. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

if you get sky you will have a BT phone line!

9. I'm with plusnet, owned by BT and they are great!
    It seems that it is just BT as BT that makes grown men cry! Weird!

10. slippeddisc

or grown women!