1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

getting ill health retirement-accrued benefits

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Katie777, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Katie777

Katie777 New commenter

I am planning to leave teaching. I have a diagnosis of MS but have been able to turn up for school (no sick days) for the past year. I am part time, I was before diagnosis and have not asked for any reasonable adjustments. Therefore there is no official record of any struggle with my illness, I have felt it though!
    It is my understanding that I don't really have a hope of getting anything out of the pension. The union, though vague, seemed to say the same. I know teaching (stress) is bad for my health and I should leave. I guess that isn't the same as not well enough to teach. I do have lots of symptoms that cause problems for me but they are small problems really. My reason for wanting to leave is to prevent bigger problems developing. I guess they don't recognise that?!
    Does anyone have any experience of getting accrued benefits and moving on to a new job? Or have any insight into how it is judged? I will go any see my doctor but I am not hopeful.
    Any advice appreciated, thanks.

2. annelda72

annelda72 New commenter

I would imagine that to qualify for ill health retirement you would need to have had an extensive period of documented health problems causing you to be ubable to work related to the MS. I would imagine that the fact that you have struggled on would probably go against you in this instance. Not fair! I do know that there are 2 pension levels for early retirement on the grounds of ill health. One relates to being too ill to work again at all and the other relates to being too unwell to teach again but to possibly being able to do a different job.