1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Getting great crackling

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by phie, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    Does anyone have any fail proof method for getting pork to crackle? My method is oil and salt into a very very hot oven or under the grill for the first 30mins then lower the heat and cook the meat. What do you do?
    Phie

2. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I do the same but I also get the pork from a good butcher - I think that supermarket joints (on the whole) are not of a good enough quality for surefire crackling.

3. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Theorigins of the pork matter as well eg leg pork seems to produce better crackling than shoulder.
    But salt and a high temperature are the best. You can slice the skin off and grill to give a good crackle.

4. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

The day before you plan to eat your pork, remove it from any packaging and allow it to sit, uncovered, on a plate in your fridge. This will allow the skin to dry off completely, which is essential for good crackling. Wet skin will never crackle.

5. And once it is dry only salt it do not oil it!
    If you cook the pork in a very hot oven for the first 20 minutes the crackling surface will expand and 'set' and then, when you turn the heat down to proper cooking temp, then you can baste it along with the rest of the joint.

6. I like the oil to help the salt stick, though I don't always remember to do it. Removing the packaging makes so much sense. I feel stupid for not realising it before. Thank you.

7. I didn't realise until my late 30s either. Mum and Grandma never thought to tell me that they had patiently "dried" the joint for a couple of days before roasting it [​IMG]
    Oh and I can't remember if we mentioned it - but to score your fat, use a stanley knife!

8. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

<u>Rosie's method.</u>
    Sprinkle salt on your leg of pork
    Roast it.
    Removeleg from oven to rest. Turn up the oven as high as it will go.
    Remove crackling layer from joint, and return it to the very hot oven.
    Nuke it until satisfactorily crackly. Rescue it when smoke detector in living room is screaming.
    Fight the dog off. Consume.
    Visit dentist for expensive dental repairs. Worth it, though!