1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Getting frustrated with getting QTS

Discussion in 'Overseas trained teachers' started by yeomissyeo, Oct 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. yeomissyeo

yeomissyeo New commenter

I’m a teacher from the states. I’ve been teaching in the U.K. at a small independent special needs school since April 2017.

I have my bachelors degree from a university in Pennsylvania in elementary education, and Masters of Education in Reading from the same university, and a Masters of Science in Special education. I left Pennsylvania in 2011 to teach in Las Vegas where I taught special education for 6 years. (I never taught in Pennsylvania).

When I apply for QTS using my Bachelors degree, they keep denying it because I have a Level 1 teaching certificate, and they only recognize level 2. Unfortunately to gain a level 2, you have to have your teaching experience in Pennsylvania and mine is only from Nevada.

I just don’t know what to do...with all of my qualifications and now almost 7 years of experience teaching SEN, I’m tired of not getting paid on a proper pay scale. I’ve had to take such a huge pay cut with only being able to teach at independent schools. And I’m getting stuck with applications because so many require QTS.

Please send advice.

2. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Assessment Only QTS might be an option?

pepper5 likes this.