1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Getting experience in schools

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Joanne2009, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I am hoping to apply for a Sept 12 start, on a GTP, and not sure whether to go for primary or secondary (science). I would like to observe lessons in both. Do I just have to write to the head of a few schools (including a SAE) and see if anyone will allow me to go in for a few lessons?
    It will have to be September or October as one of the GTP providers closes to applications in November.
    I have experience as a STEM ambassador (I am a career changer from NHS) and mentoring.
    Joanne

2. Hi,
    I am hoping to apply for a Sept 12 start, on a GTP, and not sure whether to go for primary or secondary (science). I would like to observe lessons in both. Do I just have to write to the head of a few schools (including a SAE) and see if anyone will allow me to go in for a few lessons?
    It will have to be September or October as one of the GTP providers closes to applications in November.
    I have experience as a STEM ambassador (I am a career changer from NHS) and mentoring.
    Joanne

3. Hi Joanne,
    When I applied for work experience a few years back, I wrote to many schools asking for an opportunity to observe. Out of the many letters I sent - only 2 schools replied.
    My advise would be to phone up as many schools as possible (which you would be willing to travel to) and speak to the head teacher, or write to them. Treat it as a job application and show interest in the school.
    CRB checks and commitment tend to be the main reasons why schools don't reply, however stick with it. I'm not 100% sure, but schools can CRB check you for free or a small cost if you are a volunteer. It may be worth even offering to pay for your CRB check.

4. Hi Joanne You are making exactly the right decision in looking to gain experience of both primary and secondary lessons, as it is important to know which age group you feel most comfortable teaching.
    As you may be aware, places for primary teaching are competitive, whereas there is a need for more secondary science teachers in England and Wales. This may be something you wish to consider if you are concerned about employment prospects after completing your training. Of course the most important thing is to enjoy the subject or phase you are teaching.
    It is a good idea to write to the headteachers of schools in your area to see if you can observe some lessons. You could also phone them directly. You can get contact information for schools in and around your area on the following website:
    www.schoolswebdirectory.co.uk
    It can often be difficult to arrange an observation visit, so please don't be put off if the schools you initially contact are unable to accommodate you.
    I wish you the best of luck with your efforts to gain some useful classroom experience, and I hope that you will soon be embarking on an enjoyable teaching career.
    Stephen Hillier, TDA