1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Getting employment with a criminal record.

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by gbar, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Now first things's first. I have a relatively bad criminal record. Well perhaps not "bad", but it is lengthy. I wanted to turn my life around and do something positive so I looked into teaching.

This was a while back and I spoke with several people in the teaching industry before I applied for my PGCE. I was assured that my criminal record wouldn't be a major barrier to me gaining employment, and even the university took me on without any problem.

Now I graduated a couple of years back and have not had a single teaching job since. Agencies won't even take me on for cover supervisor work. I have been told that they can't take me on with my record.

Is it time for me to give up even looking for work in this sector? Or Is there something I can do to 'redeem' myself and perhaps 'gain trust'' so that I become employable?

p.s. nothing on my record bars me from teaching. If it's relevant I can write out what's on my record, I have no problem with that.

2. scienceteacha

scienceteacha New commenter

My harsh side says tough sh1t- you did the crime and now you are suffering the consequences.

My helpful side says the law of averages is if you keep trying, someone will overlook your past and employ you for who you are now.

There's every chance Gove and co may remove the need for a CRB in future and even axe murderers may be allowed into schools.

Have you considered international schools abroad? Maybe this a way of 'decoupling' you from your criminal past!

3. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

I don't know gbar ... I will be honest and say it may well be off putting to schools and unfortunately you're caught in that trap now where you aren't in a job so it's harder to get a job.
    Are you being open and honest about it in your application letter, and explain you are a different person now?
    I do sympathise but it won't be easy and really the university should have told you that x

4. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

If it's any consolation, saints as well as sinners are having a hard time finding work. Schools are looking for who not to shortlist as they have too many applicants and having a criminal record is one of them. You may be lucky and find a school that can see beyond negative sterotypes and give you a chance. However, all unemployed teachers should be looking at other career options as there are too many teachers chasing too few posts and the government is now allowing unqualified teachers to take qualified teachers posts. There will not be many teachers working until 67/68 so it wouldn't hurt to have other forms of employment. Good luck!

5. Thanks for the replies Appreciated.

Yes I am completely
    open and honest about it, I don't actually blame people for not taking
    me on. I would probably throw my application straight in the bin if I
    was an employer too.
    It's a shame really, because I went through
    my PGCE with flying colours and my references will be spot on should it
    get that far.
    As for internation schools, I have a family over here, so it's not really an option for me to go abroad. I would love to do that though, but that would be something for the future when the kids are much older.
    I'll definitely keep trying I suppose, but with rejection after rejection it does get rather depressing, especially when I can't even get cover supervisor / teaching assistant jobs. The way I see it is that if I were to at least gain employment as a cover supervisor, I would then be able to gain that trust that they might be looking for.

6. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

I think that you were given slightly unfair advise, but then I think you realise that a criminal record is going to be a hinderence for most jobs, teaching included.
    A real shame I think because the fact you made some mistakes and have now turned your life around makes you the sort of role model schools could use. It demonstrates what people can achieve and some kids cannot always relate to the "squeaky clean cut" image most teachers have (that includes me of course)
    Can I suggest that you fully exhaust all the possible agency options you can. I'm saying this since I know a supply teacher who's CRB is not completely clean (I realise everyone is suspecting its me now, which its not). As you stated some offences do not bar you from teaching and his agency was happy to take him on even with these "blots on his record".
    I wish you the very best of luck.[​IMG]

7. My CRB is not clean, i was honest about it. My employes, past and present, take no issue with it.
    I suggest volunteering at a school, college etc, then applying for posts. That way they know who you are, how you teach etc, and perhaps your volunteering will outweigh/compensate for your CRB.

If you cannot or do not have time to volunteer for schools/colleges try the Scouts etc they always look, or other evening style activities i.e. adult ed.

8. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

It rather depends on exactly what your criminal record is for and how many different offences will show up on your CRB.
    Some heads (and I'm one - I once appointed someone to a teaching post who had served a prison sentence) will make allowances for one mistake for an excellent candidate, but if there's more than one offence you probably have no chance of getting shortlisted, especially in a non-shortage subject.

9. starryian008

starryian008 New commenter

Hmmm 'tough ****'? That's a bit self-righteous and selfish isn't it? Were you not young and foolish once? Have you ever broken the law? Can you honestly stand up and state that you are the same person now as you were when you were 17? I very much doubt it. Yet people judge people by ridiculous standards because it makes them feel morally superior. People deserve a second chance. Saying 'tough ****' really doesn't help anybody.
    No-one wants to advocate that CRB's be abolished. They do provide vital security screening. However, people are being denied jobs that they are qualified for based on old, outdated and irrelevant convictions. How on earth is a conviction for shoplifting a can of coke when you were 16 relevant to teaching 20 years later?

10. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Zombie thread alert.

11. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

The OP hasn't been seen since 2012....fair to assume they're never coming back...

12. Trendy Art

Trendy Art Star commenter

Take no offence. :p