1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Getting disheartened about weight loss

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by musicmakestheworldgoround, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Hi all,
    I've been trying to lose weight for a number of years and finally decided to do something about it.
    I downloaded an app for my phone and have been sticking to a reduced calorie diet. Since May I have lost just over a stone but for the last few weeks I seem to have plateaued. I am still sticking to the calorie controlled diet and have been upping my exercise (swimming a mile 3 times a week) but I'm getting really down that I haven't lost so much as a pound in recent weeks.
    Everyone keeps telling me to keep going and stick with it (usually skinny people- grrr!) but I am starting to lose faith. Can anyone give any words of encouragement/ tell own success stories etc.
    I still want to lose another 3 stone over time.
    Thanks,
    MMTWGR

2. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Okay - so I've lost 7 stone, I do know what I'm on about.... I can only tell you what works for me though. Appreciate that we're all different! Here are some ideas.

Take a week off, and eat what you like. Don't be ridiculous, but eat what you like. Cake, bread, chips... You'll put on a few pounds, but then the next week when you get back on the diet you'll lose it again and then carry on losing afterwards. It gets the momentum going again. Try to change your expectations from a downward line of weight into a downward trend with blips in it.
    Change what you're eating. Are you still eating what you ate when you were losing? You need to change. For example, you might want to cut out wheat for a week - I'm not convinced it's the wheat that makes a difference, it's that it makes you eat different things that leads to loss.
    Diet swap with someone. Keep a diary for a week of everything you've eaten, then swap with a friend. Either that, or eat with someone, and decide together what to eat. I think this just makes you more mindful of what you're eating, and helps to make sure little bad habits haven't snuck in. It also opens your eyes to new ideas, flavours and tricks, which is always helpful.

That's all I can think of for now.

3. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I've lost weight successfully a few times now (for my wedding, then after each of my children) and now my youngest is 15 months I am continuing to lose weight, and can now fit into clothes I bought 10 years ago.
    I've lost 3 stone since July last year, through healthy eating and exercise. I put on a lot of weight when I was pregnant and I still need to lose maybe a stone - a stone and a half to be the 10/12 I used to be.
    I log my food on My Fitness Pal which is really motivating, and I have personal training sessions, and also go for walks a lot with my children.
    I focus more on inch loss and body fat percentage loss than actual weight. Recently I went about 8 weeks without losing a single pound, but I lost inches and body fat. Over the past 4 weeks I've lost 6lbs. I can't figure it out!
    I have upped my calories a bit from 1200 to 1400, and I actually think that has helped. A friend of mine kept telling me I needed to eat more, and I think she was right.
    So, I'd suggest taking measurements and weighing yourself less frequently, using My Fitness Pal, and making sure you eat enough. I eat high amounts of protein and low carbs.
    Come over to our Slimming for Summer thread!

4. [​IMG]
    What an achievement!
    You are the best one to give advice.

5. Thanks for the replies.
    I'm currently using the My Fitness Pal app which worked for so long. To be honest, it never occurred to me to measure rather than weigh myself so that will be something I'll be trying. I'm currently eating 1350 calories a day but several people have said this isn't enough. I am eating new foods rather than the "bad" foods that I used to eat.
    I really like the idea of having a normal week and then going back to the diet. I am trying to lose the weight before next August as I am getting married. I don't think it would be realistic for me to lose the 3 stone that I want to lose before then but it would be nice!
    I'll keep you posted on how everything goes [​IMG]

6. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

It is realistic! I got engaged in Oct 2007 and married Aug 2008, and I lost just over 3 stone in that time.
    Do you exercise? There's no way I would've lost what I have without exercise.

7. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

Duh, just read your original post and you said you swim. Perhaps try some new exercise, like aerobics classes, or the gym?

8. I swim a mile 3 times a week which I love. I hate the gym with a passion but do use the just dance game when I have the chance.

9. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

If you're stuck up your calories... Sometimes you aren't eating enough so your body holds on to what you do put in, you might find that rounding it up to say 1400 helps... Or change tack and do ww which does work... I lose 3st o it.

10. First off you are probably not eating enough. I have been losing weight for about 3mths now- losing 1-2lbs a week and I eat 1650calories a day!!! That was recommended for me by a professional. Obviously we are all different but perhaps a chat with your gp even would give you an indication of what is right for you. If you don't take in enough your body goes into starvation mode and holds onto everything!
    Second, if you are still doing what your were doing then that is most likely why you are not losing weight. You're body has gotten used to it and doesn't need to work as hard now - it knows what is coming so it is prepared. Mix it up! That is the best advice I can give you. If you love swimming don't stop but add something else in....aqua aerobics? Try multicircuits one day a week? A zumba class?
    If you are looking to lose 3stone by your wedding I am guessing you don't just want weight loss but also to be toned and looking all over fantastic- its often not about the scales but about the measurements as someone above said. Get some resistance training in....muscles take up less room than fat (ie a lb of muscle is smaller than a lb of fat.). Also muscles use more calories at rest than fat so the more muscle you burn the more calories you burn.
    Its 70% diet but 30% exercise. You can do it but you must persevere and you must not let your body get complacent... Good luck!!