1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Getting coaching (rugby/football/cricket) experience??

Discussion in 'Physical education' started by Tildabe, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Tildabe

Tildabe New commenter

Hope this makes sense!

I am a primary teacher and have just seen a job that ticks every box for me and could be described as my "dream job".
    However, one of the "essentials" (and the ONLY thing in the person spec I can't currently offer) is 'to coach rugby, football and cricket to match standard'.
    First question is - are they looking for someone who is really good and plays at county level themselves or does this sound like they'd consider someone who is prepared to learn and gain experience but currently lacks it? And any suggestions for subtly asking this question too them? (Its an independent school)
    Second question is, assuming they are not looking for someone who plays at county level has loads of experience, what is the best way (without sacrificing all my weekends for the next 6 months!) to gain some coaching training and experience? I am fully prepared to invest time (and a limited(!) sum of money) into developing this area of my teaching practice anyway but I'm not really sure how best to go about it?
    Ultimately I won't apply for this job if this is going to be the major sticking point as I feel it is best to apply knowing that I tick every box fully, rather than end up binned as I've "not read the job spec" and ruin chances for furture applications but then, as I say, the sport is the only thing I don't have working experience of and would be fully committed to developing... Tough one!
    Ta muchly [​IMG]

2. Tildabe

Tildabe New commenter

Hope this makes sense!

I am a primary teacher and have just seen a job that ticks every box for me and could be described as my "dream job".
    However, one of the "essentials" (and the ONLY thing in the person spec I can't currently offer) is 'to coach rugby, football and cricket to match standard'.
    First question is - are they looking for someone who is really good and plays at county level themselves or does this sound like they'd consider someone who is prepared to learn and gain experience but currently lacks it? And any suggestions for subtly asking this question too them? (Its an independent school)
    Second question is, assuming they are not looking for someone who plays at county level has loads of experience, what is the best way (without sacrificing all my weekends for the next 6 months!) to gain some coaching training and experience? I am fully prepared to invest time (and a limited(!) sum of money) into developing this area of my teaching practice anyway but I'm not really sure how best to go about it?
    Ultimately I won't apply for this job if this is going to be the major sticking point as I feel it is best to apply knowing that I tick every box fully, rather than end up binned as I've "not read the job spec" and ruin chances for furture applications but then, as I say, the sport is the only thing I don't have working experience of and would be fully committed to developing... Tough one!
    Ta muchly [​IMG]

3. Hello,

I would guess from the description, that they are looking for someone who has experience, or knowledge of coaching or teaching those sports. Being able to play them would not be a pre requisite.
    If you want to increase your knowledge, I would reccomend looking at the governing body qualifications and or getting involved with local clubs. I know this is time consuming, but a really good way of increasing knowledge.
    I also would not worry about contacting them and asking the question to see if it is suitable for you.

Hope this helps.

4. gogojonny

gogojonny New commenter

I assume it is an indy school. Yes they will want experience in coaching. I would suspect they would put you on a games afternoon once a week - rugby in the first term, football the second and cricket the third. They will want someone who has played before in a club setting or has vast previous experience of coaching kids in the sport. And this is proper sport - tackling in rugby, hardball cricket etc. Coaching qualifications probably don't come into it - I know people who coach sport but have no qualifications at all. They do have however years and years experience of being involved in sports clubs, and have been coached by coaches themselves from a young age.

5. Tildabe

Tildabe New commenter

gogojonny - this was, unfortunately, exactly what I suspected. I will give the school HR a ring tomorrow and clarify what sort of experience they are looking for but to be honest, there are other jobs so probably better to wait until one comes along that I can fully meet the job spec of.

6. gogojonny

gogojonny New commenter

Being in an indy school myself check what the level of the team it is. Some schools do run A,B and C teams, and generally staff with little experience take the B/C teams and learn on the job. Worth checking but likely that they want someone with more experience - someone to coach, manage and ref.