1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Getting boys into reading and writing

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Jackieee, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Hi does anybody have any fun ideas that will motivate reception boys to be motivated and excited to read and write.
    Thanks in advance.

2. These are great ideas thanks for posting! Anymore ideas would be greatly received.

3. That's always a good idea.
    I would also recommend going easy on writing with pencil or pen with boys, because their manual dexterity tends to develop later. So writing with magnetic or other sticky letters is easier for them.
    In one of my posts on my EnglishSpellingProblems blog
    I have explained why the inconsistencies of English spelling are worse for boys than girls too.

4. sadika

sadika New commenter

Way back in the autumn term our boys (and they outnumber the girls by quite a bit) were into Superheroes and Ben 10 in particular - we went with them - many girls joined in - solving emergency problems - having conversations - writing eg phone numbers for Superheroes (we made a phone directory); writing/reading names; ordering numbers with Ben 10 characters on - and it really encouraged some children who might have been reluctant readers/writers to participate.

5. I don't agree about boys in particular not holding pens and pencils. There is no reason that I can see why they should not have the same experience and become as dexterous as the girls!
    Such theories can become self-fulfilling.
    At at training event recently, early years teachers told me that the EY advisor had told them that the boys must lie on the floor with clipboards to write!!!![​IMG]
    Please! [​IMG]
    No wonder people think it's normal to have a gender gap nowadays.

6. Msz

Msz Established commenter

In my last reception class the boys seriously outperformed the girls in reading and writing.
    Boys are in general more mercenary than girls and like to know what's in it for them [​IMG]

7. to motivate your boys to read look at what you are putting in book area, comics, annuals like star wars, Ben 10, Marvel a must. Draw your boys in make it a batman cave etc. ask them what they like to read and what they are interested in.

Same with writing - create themed boxes with things that will attract them again look at their interests if super mario then put that in there with mario pictures on the box. If they like writing speech bubbles put them in with their favourite characters speaking, tracing characters they like etc

8. I love this idea! Thanks!