1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Getting behaviour right from the start

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by lindor1306, Jul 28, 2016.

1. lindor1306

lindor1306 New commenter

Hi

I'm about to go into my third year teaching Reception, and I'm a bit terrified because I've had two extremely challenging classes in a row. I want to make sure I get behaviour right from the start in September, so does anyone have any suggestions for things I should put in place from day one to make sure children know the expectations straight away. I don't want to be introducing things through the year so want to have routines etc in place from the start.

2. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

Start by thinking about what has worked for you so far, along with what the school policy for behaviour is. Now consider what you felt didn't work. Is there a particular reason. Sometimes things don't work as they just get 'stale'. We are a small school and use ticks to reward children. These then accumulate to gain little rewards. It works for the whole school, primary. The ticks are given by staff but they go and see the Head to actually receive them. They are often for behaviour but also for work.

What do you do?

pepper5 likes this.
  3. squashball

squashball Occasional commenter

It's all about the positive: we have a smiley face on the whiteboard and names are added during carpet time. "I love how Sam is showing me his listening body" or "I love how Sam is ignoring Fred because Sam knows the carpet time rules" is better than "Fred, you need to stop talking now". Marbles into a jar for good tidying BUT it's my 2 classroom helpers who decide if we have done a good enough job to earn them - they both wear police helmets and make the decision (and are usually much harsher than I would be!). Have a ladder of consequences for poor choices - 2 warnings, time out chair, time out in another classroom, visit to the deputy or head - no hollow or endless threats.
    And another thing - never shout or appear to be cross - just disappointed that some children are still talking or whatever - tinkle a bell or hold up your hand and wait until there is silence - it leads to a nice calm atmosphere.

What does your behaviour policy say? Do you have colleagues who can give advice as to what works for them? Maybe you need to let us know what you already do. What challenges did the children give you last year?

ViolaClef, stupot101 and pepper5 like this.
  4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Might steal that for year 3 and the cloakroom tidying... Thank you. :)

Nothing more to add to the other fab advice here.
    Sue Cowley has a great series of books that start with YOU CAN xyz
    There is one called YOU CAN create a calm classroom and it has lots of excellent strategies. There are separate ones for 4-7 and 7-11, so make sure you nab the correct one.
    Here is a link
    Fabulous Book!

pepper5 likes this.
  5. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Great idea about police helmets. Brilliant.

6. stupot101

stupot101 Established commenter

Brilliant:)

7. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

You've shared some really good ideas, @squashball! @lindor1306, be clear in your mind what your expectations are and don't settle for less. Actions speak louder than words, so if there are any consequences for certain behaviours then it's very important that the consequences happen. Praise for the children who are doing the right thing encourages everyone to follow suit.