1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

getting back to teaching

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by lynnepearson, Apr 15, 2011.

1. How does one get back into teaching? I have no intention of applying for permanent posts, as I trained in 1972-5, and currently haven't taught for 8 years. Who on earth would take me, rather than a fresh NQT? Even supply agencies aren't terribly interested.

So I thought I would do a Return to Teaching course but I couldn't afford not to work for part of the week, for ten weeks, plus bursaries have disappeared (what a surprise). I thought I would do some One-to-One teaching, but having now left my admin job, I find no easy way to get a CRB, no One-to-One teaching left, and no easy way to get back into supply teaching. I despair.

And now I am looking at running a market stall before my redundancy money runs out. How professional is that?! So how does one do it? I only want to work in a peripatetic capacity, in many different schools in my area. I didn't think that was asking much!

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

If you find the answer, let me know!
    That's not much use I know. My situation is similar, I've never managed to get back into full-time teaching since my family, only lots of long-term temporary long-term sickness covers.
    (Sorry if this sounds negative, I'm not feeling particularly cheerful about the whole situation myself at the moment, plus I'm dealing with Mother's Alzheimer's which means I'm not thinking asw ell as normal) But as no-one else had replied,I just thought you might just like to know there are many others of us in similar situations.
    Best wishes! Soldier on.