1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Getting back to teaching after having children

Discussion in 'Independent' started by weblight, Jun 15, 2011.

  1. Dear Theo,

    I have not taught for the last 5 years since having my 2 children and prior to that I taught overseas (in an English curriculum school) for 5 years. Prior to that I was in the UK primary teaching for 5 years. All my teaching has been at independent schools.

    My second child is about to start school and I am now looking at getting back to work. Can you recommend any steps I should take/ courses to go on/ police checks to have before I start contacting schools?

    I am thinking of starting back with supply teaching (which I've never done before).

    Any advise would be appreciated.
  2. florian gassmann

    florian gassmann Star commenter

    I don't think supply teaching would be particularly helpful. In my experience, most independent schools cover short-term absence internally, and attempt to cover longer-term absence by drawing on retired staff or experienced part-time teachers whom they already know.
    Given that you have young children and so presumably cannot easily move out of your local area, I'd recommend contacting local prep schools with your details.
    Incidentally, police checks (CRB clearance) can only be initiated by an employer - it's not something that you can do yourself. However, it may be worth exploring what reciprocal arrangements for such checks are in place with the overseas territory in which you taught - this can occasionally be a sticking-point if you are offered work at short notice.
  3. Thanks for your reply and suggestions. I'll arrange a meeting with my children's headteacher and see if he can put me to work!
    Kind regards.

Share This Page