1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Getting back on the horse

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by daisy1603, Apr 7, 2017.

1. daisy1603

daisy1603 Occasional commenter

Hi all,

I am now at a stage post capability where I am able to apply for jobs and have been looking at positions starting in September. However, I'm finding the situation I've been through the past few months (and the period before capability when work was not a nice place to be) has really taken its toll.

I honestly feel 'traumatised' is the most accurate description of how I'm feeling. I'm not sure I'm ready to go back into a job just yet but at the same time I don't want my career to stall. The position I've just left was only my second job and my third year teaching. I don't want to leave it too long before going back that I'm apprehensive because I've had so much time away but at the same time I don't want to pick up a new job too soon and find I'm not mentally ready for it. Any position would mean relocating so a decision can't be made lightly.

Also, how do I pick a school this time to avoid going through the same thing somewhere else? If I could write my dream job on a piece of paper, the school I have just left perfectly fits the bill (aside from what I know now).

How have others who have gone back to teaching post capability picked the next school? And how do you know you're ready to go back?

Thanks in advance.

2. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Trauma takes a lot of time to heal. Have you had support from your GP, perhaps for anxiety / depression / WRS?

Although I've not been through capability I did suffer in a school which was unjustly put into special measures. It was 8 months before I felt able to go back to work and another 3 years until my resilience and confidence returned to a "usable" level. I often thought about leaving the profession during that time, but now I'm back "on form" and in a school / role that I enjoy, I am pleased that I didn't.

It really does take time to put life back on track and perspective back in balance. Take it, don't worry too much about the next school, just do your homework and go with your gut. Once you're feeling good again, it's easier to bounce back from a mistake and move on! Good luck to you.

Anonymity and daisy1603 like this.
  3. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

Would doing supply be an option for you?

I know it brings it's own stresses, but it is a good way of getting back on the horse with less responsibility, a chance to take a day's breather if you need it and best of all, the opportunity to see lots odf different schools and suss them out.

Obviously, the financial side of things may be an issue, but it is an option if you can manage it.

4. mill12

mill12 New commenter

Dreadful situation to be in and one requiring time to heal. I would agree with the above and was about to suggest a period of time on supply. I wish you luck and hope you find a supportive school.

grumpydogwoman and daisy1603 like this.
  5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Supply would be my choice before you launch yourself back into full time again.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  6. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I also recommend supply. You don't have the emotional investment and you can shrug off a "bad day at the office" fairly easily. You find out a lot about schools and pick up some ideas too.

7. daisy1603

daisy1603 Occasional commenter

Thank you all for your replies.

Supply is an option yes, I was actually considering starting supply after the Easter holidays but maybe the sensible option would be to give myself the rest of this school year off to regroup and start back with supply in September.

It's difficult, on one hand I feel it would be good to start supply after Easter and earn some money/get back into school and put capability behind me but on the other hand I'm not sure!

Being a grown up is hard!

ROSIEGIRL likes this.
  8. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

It is hard!

The great thing about supply is you can start mid-term or whenever you fancy. Obviously there won't be much going in July but you can please yourself until then, I would think.

pepper5 likes this.
  9. gwest91

gwest91 New commenter

Hi, I'm glad you've found a possible solution with supply. It's probably a good idea to have a break and make sure you're ready to return thought you might want to start contacting them early so that everything's ready to go with plenty of time to spare to avoid any stress about getting it sorted last minute. There's some information here on how joining supply agencies works https://teachinggems.wordpress.com/2017/03/21/becoming-a-supply-teacher/ I would probably also explain to them that your availability might be variable so that if there are days where you feel you need a break you can take them without feeling any guilt or worrry.

daisy1603 and grumpydogwoman like this.
  10. Elly40

Elly40 New commenter

Supply is a great idea.
    Firstly, it helps you get your confidence back
    Secondly you get to experience a range of school, enabling you to see where you want to work
    Thirdly, some opportunity may arise at one of these schools.

Good luck

grumpydogwoman and pepper5 like this.
  11. peakster

peakster Star commenter

If it were me I would start as early as possible - if you're offered a bit of work after Easter than go for it.

grumpydogwoman, daisy1603 and pepper5 like this.
  12. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

I agree with peakster. If you are offered some work after Easter, take two or three days a week day to day supply. If you go over to the supply forum on this board, you will find a !of of useful information on how to deal with agencies.

Perhaps start with day to day supply and don't take anything long term until you are mentally ready. You don't have the marking or planning and you will get to see a range of schools before you decide where you want to work long term. On supply day to day work at 3.30 you are a free agent. Yes, you will take a pay cut, but supply will enable you to keep working and teaching until you make further plans of long term work or even getting a second skill which of you are in a position to do so, I would suggest as a backup for the future.

13. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Go and visit the schools before applying.
    See how the staff relate to the head. If they shy away, then run for the hills. If they smile and welcome the head in, then you'll probably be fine.

Do supply if you want to, but if you actually want three weeks in the sun outside of school holidays, then do that instead.

Maybe do some online courses or even a few one day ones.

Definitely get applying, but don't let it take over your life.

daisy1603 likes this.
  14. lostsocks

lostsocks New commenter

I had a very traumatic year last year as an nqt, I never really wanted to step back into a classroom. I did supply day to day and got offered a job from one of these schools, when they offered me the job I was honest told them what I'd been through (anxiety and depression and the year from hell) the head has been nothing other than supportive.
    There are good schools out there, but do supply to build yourself back up x

ROSIEGIRL and (deleted member) like this.