1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Getting back on the horse!

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by RedBedHead94, Nov 6, 2016.

1. RedBedHead94

RedBedHead94 Established commenter

So... my resignation has been accepted by my HT. As of next Thursday I am free!:D .....but also unemployed.

I need to find another job quickly. Classroom teaching is out of the question for me now.

What kind of things can I look at doing?
    How should I smarten up my CV? I assume it doesn't need to look the same as it did for CT jobs.
    What is a nice easily adaptable cover letter style to use?
    What are the best places to find education/graudate jobs (TES is of course my fave for education jobs, but it's never a bad thing to look further)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, especially on the CV front. I could google all these things, but hearing what has worked for people from the horse's mouth is much more helpful, I find.

TIA! :)

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

For the job search I'd check the Guardian. I also check my local free paper as good jobs occasionally do come up via that route.

RedBedHead94 likes this.
  3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Good luck - it is a brave and very scary thing you have done.

Nearly four years ago I did the same thing (my goodness, time flies) - for a while I was busy and then suddenly - I wasn't. My way back was to become a supply teacher but I had almost a year of not having full time employment.

You will have a lot of doubts and you will (probably) have some financial worries. Mine was that I wouldn't be able to contribute to helping my daughter out at University and just keeping the household running smoothly (although my wife still had a full time job).

We got very good at being thrifty - not spending what we didn't have to. Eventually I got a long term placement and some regular tutoring income but it was still not what I had earned before. I hope you don't develop insomnia (like I did) or have the occasional crippling panic attack (like I did) - the latter came in the middle of the night and were not very nice.

I came to enjoy teaching again (I ultimetely realised that it was my best chance of getting a permanent job again) - you may also. I had two really good long term placements and then (out of the blue to some degree) got the offer of a permanent job.

Let us know how you get on - it isn't going to be easy.

fishtoe, pepper5, Shedman and 3 others like this.
  4. RedBedHead94

I know how you feel - those are the things that made me quit in the first place!

I've touched base with the agency that got me the job I just left - the manager of it is my recruitment agent and she's amazing. I've given her the low down, asked her for TA positions or supply work. I don't know if i'll do classroom teaching again, but short term TA or supply seems like a good interim for now, because of the reduced workload and it's easier to run away if it's rubbish, without sacrificing the interactions with the kids, which was always a huge pull towards teaching for me (no-other job has people anywhere near as amusing as working with kids!)

She might not find me anything, I might not be offered anything, so i'll consider stuff outside of schools too - maybe HR? I dunno.

Thanks Peakster - i'll keep updating!

5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I considered becoming a TA as well

pepper5 and RedBedHead94 like this.
  6. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

My advice is just do daily type work for a while, work out if you can handle the morning call or not, if you can that gives you better chances for work. I've actually done most of my teaching career on supply teaching, and whilst I know that I can't do long term teaching any more due to it's effects on my health daily/short term is no problem. If you have any questions about supply teaching I'm happy if you want to drop me a PM.

Mrsmumbles, pepper5 and RedBedHead94 like this.
  7. freckle06

freckle06 Lead commenter

Before I was teaching, after I graduated I had a couple of crummy jobs. I couldn't see a way forward and I signed up with a temping agency. I had a couple of days stuffing envelopes and ended up with a job I stayed in for about two years. Not terribly well paid, but not a job that would have come up through the paper. Might be worth thinking about, at least?

RedBedHead94 likes this.
  8. grumpydogwoman

After I retired I did a stint as a TA.

In FE. Absolute piece of cake.

With ASD students doing Computing and similar. L3 quals up to Foundation Degree.

Sooooo relaxing!

dunnocks, Shedman and RedBedHead94 like this.
  9. Billie73

Billie73 Occasional commenter

I got a boring office job and tutor in the evenings. The money for my day job is **** but I do pretty well with tutoring and it's paid the bills until now. I'm planning my exit and have decided what I want to do next.

Remember, your next job doesn't have to be a job for life; it just has to fill a gap on your cv and cover the bills for now. If it helps your mental state to improve then even better.

Mrsmumbles, Shedman, pepper5 and 3 others like this.
  10. RedBedHead94

Fallen off the horse.

Applied for some Learning and Development posts, all were rejected. I've had nonstop bombardment from teaching recruitment vultures since 8am this morning.

I'm actually trapped in teaching, it seems.

Anxiety bubbling in my belly again. Funfunfunfun!

11. grumpydogwoman

On the plus side? You're in demand!

The irony though. Teachers leaving in droves only to be replaced by supply. At much lower cost to the employer. It's almost as if it was someone's cunning plan! ;):(:rolleyes:o_O

hhhh, sabrinakat and Shedman like this.
  12. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi

Have you thought of working for children's charities?

13. drvs

drvs Star commenter

You're going to need to be more persistent and resilient - it's been one week! Career change takes time. Perhaps to help focus and keep some money coming in you can set your mind to do supply / agency / TA / tempingfor x months while you properly look at your options and go through whatever training or recruitment you need to make the change. Should also be an incentive to get on with it.

I'm not surprised you're getting rejections from L&D posts, they tend to be looking for people with industry experience and potential to teach rather than teachers without industry knowledge.

14. RedBedHead94

If I found a paid position, without a shadow of a doubt. Love charity work!

Resilience? Never heard of it. Perhaps i'll start to grow some of my own after my first CBT Therapy session later. :)

I wasn't aware of that - I thought I fit the bill quite well! Teaching knowledge, and four years of retail industry knowledge... Life goes on I guess. Going for a meeting with my local Reed office about some temping, they gave me some great tips for my CV (Apparently it still screamed TEACHER!)

I'm not fussed about starting bottom rung in an office, I just need to try something new that isn't soul crushing minimum wage retail advisor stuff (which I left behind to do teaching) or soul crushing better-than-National Minimum-but-still-not-worth-it teaching (which made me miss the soul crushing minimum wage job..)

The irony is not lost on me, but definitely not engaging my humorous side today. Educational recruitment agencies are frigging vultures. As soon as you say they're not interested, they ask why, I tell them, they hang up after asking me to refer other people to them. It's been a challenging day. Sigh.

Someone will notice the national staff retention rate soon, I hope...

15. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Yeah, I regretted that choice of word after my 8 minutes had passed - "patience" would have been better. CBT programs can be excellent if you can let it unfold and see it through, best of luck :)

Good move with Reed, seek as much professional career advice as you can!

RedBedHead94 likes this.
  16. RedBedHead94

'Grant me patience God, but hurry!!'

Patience has never been a personal quality of mine, it has been subsituted for perfectionism and neuroticism.... but I added the phrase 'data analysis' to my CV some more, so that should do the trick....

I suspect Reed will be as useless as the Teaching recruitment vultures that hounded me today, but stayed totally silent throughout my PGCE job-hunt. I hope to be proven wrong, however!

17. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Please don't do HR! Well, not in a school, anyway. Seeing as it is non-existent. Civil service is good for HR.

18. Mrsmumbles

Really wise words.

19. Mrsmumbles

Ya don't say! :0)

20. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Wow, with these "qualities" teaching really wasn't a great career choice was it? A deeply flawed (read: imperfect) profession where many employees are out to get you! o_O

Hopefully the CBT will help you move these traits to a lower rung, they can be pretty damaging from the top of the podium.