1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Getting back into the classroom

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by lucylocket, Sep 10, 2018.

1. lucylocket

lucylocket New commenter

Hi
    I have been out of profession for just over 3 years and am contemplating coming back. I miss it! Any words of advice on how best to go about this and how to talk about the career break if I do get any interviews gratefully received.

Thanks

L

2. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

First things first, have you given it proper thought about returning to teaching? A lot has changed over the last couple of years and a lot more teachers are leaving the profession. Why did you leave last time? Was it stress from the job or was it other circumstances?

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  3. lucylocket

lucylocket New commenter

I have been contemplating it for the last year, I was in the profession 17 years before taking a break as I wasn't well and my son was having a tough time. I have kept up to date with the changes as much as is possible from the outside. It is not a decision I am taking lightly and I won't rush into anything.

pepper5 likes this.
  4. GoGoTeacherArms

GoGoTeacherArms Occasional commenter

Could you head into a school in a voluntary capacity? Just to make sure you are absolutely certain you want to return to the classroom. I've been out of the classroom for three years as well and would feel totally out of my depth returning. (But, then again I haven't been keeping up with any education changes or developments!)

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  5. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

Fair enough- Only you know if you feel that you’re ready to return and if you do, then go for it. If you don’t want a full time permanent contract, have you considered a maternity cover role? It’s a temporary position and it’s definitely a way to get back into teaching as you can decide during that time if you want to continue a career in teaching.
    Look at TES jobs and e-teach for suitable roles within your area and apply- some schools might need someone to start more urgently and you are in that position to do so as you are not currently tied to a contract. Good Luck with what you do!

agathamorse likes this.
  6. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Another route to try out is via supply. Easy enough to register with a few agencies if you can spare a half-day to get through the paperwork.

You'll get to see disproportionately more bottom-end schools but won't be short of work if you'll accept peanuts. Depending how shortage your subject area is then you may even get a few offers of long-term/permanent

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  7. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

I don't think you will have any problems at all getting a job. You are an experienced teacher of 17 years and that says a lot. Yes, things move on in three years but you have kept up with the changes and three years in some ways isn't that long.

Your main concern is to find a well managed school where you are happy.

You could do supply to get back in - perhaps not day to day supply but longer term posts. The only problem with that though is if you found something you liked the school may not keep you permantly because of finders' fees if go through an agency.

Perhaps make a list of all the schools in your area that have good reputations and write to them directly. You just never know and you could offer your services as a supply or if they have anything permanent.

You will get there in the end.

JohnJCazorla and agathamorse like this.
  8. ABCCBA123321

ABCCBA123321 Occasional commenter

From someone trying to do it at the moment I'd say your big problem if you go down the supply route is going to be references (although I've been out 7 years). They wanted from me basically to prove I've been at home with the kids (which is hard to prove) and I ended up getting round it by doing a lot of volunteering in my own kids' school and then finding a mutual acquaintance to serve as a character reference to vouch that they knew I'd been at home with the kids before that. Taken a bit of wrangling but eventually I managed to satisfy supply agencies' referencing checks that way (but it was an agency I'd had a long-standing relationship working with before I went on a break).

agathamorse likes this.