1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Getting back into teaching

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Billie2000, Jul 17, 2020.

1. Billie2000

Billie2000 New commenter

I qualified as a teacher at 40 and completed my NQT year and it's all been down hill since then. I had a one year maternity cover contract for my NQT year and when it ended I didnt find another job. I've done some cover work, a one term part-time contract (at the same school) examination work (the new GCSE) I ended up drifting back to my old career so I could have some job/ financial security but still applying for teaching jobs but no luck! I would love to get back to teaching. There are very few jobs and the ones that are there when I apply I'm not even getting asked for an interview. I've been out of teaching for 2 years (4 years since last full time job) I feel I need to do something to get myself back in the game so to speak.
    Can anyone offer me advice on how supply works, whether cover teaching is a good way to get into a school, whether I should consider further study /qualifications - even volunteering in a school? My subject is RE and I love my subject but I'd consider studying other subjects or even studying/ changing to primary as I have a lot of experience of younger children too. I became a single parent during my NQT year which made job hunting tougher (didn't want to commute too far) but my children are teenagers now so I'd really like to get back to teaching before it's too late.

2. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Begin by signing up to an agency. The work will come and you should accept everything put your way. When you've been doing this for a month or two -you can begin to stipulate a few things -' I'm afraid I'm not going back to St Trinian's again...'
    Not only will you gain valuable experience and money but you'll be the first to see posts advertised in staff rooms...which is how I came by my current post.

agathamorse likes this.
  3. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

Be aware that Supply Teaching is badly paid...

My average salary over the last 3 years is about £13000.

Be prepared to teach subjects other than RE.

Good luck.

agathamorse likes this.
  4. Billie2000

Billie2000 New commenter

Thank you both. Am off to investigate more about how supply agencies work!

5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

You need to join more than one.

If you want some expert help then go to the supply teachers forum.

agathamorse and Billie2000 like this.
  6. Billie2000

Billie2000 New commenter

Thank you so much - have actually been looking at the supply forum (which I hadn't realised was there until yesterday) but have found loads of great advice and has already answered loads of the questions I had just from reading the pinned threads - it's a great forum!

agathamorse likes this.
  7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Lots of very experienced supply teachers and ex-supply teachers on it.

I would advise you initially to do a bit of research and then contact the biggest agencies in your area first.

Day-to-Day supply work is likely to be a bit scarce for September and October so you need to have lots of irons in the fire.

agathamorse likes this.
  8. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

The government’s new tutor programme will pay you 19k to work in a school. Once in, you will be well placed to network effectively and also apply from jobs from being in a semi-teaching type job.
    You must be in an area which has lots of teachers as generally there is always a local area that struggles to recruit.

agathamorse likes this.
  9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I haven't heard about this scheme.

agathamorse likes this.
  10. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

I suspect it’s £19000 pro rate...and will be not very much. After all, you do t need QTS for it.

Be careful accepting non-Teacher jobs in education. I feel I got pigeon holed doing that.

11. phatsals

phatsals Senior commenter

12. Abitofeverything

Abitofeverything Occasional commenter

I would consider re-training as a primary teacher. RE is a big subject in church schools, they'd welcome you with open arms, plus as a single parent who doesn't want to commute too far, there would be lots more primary schools in your area than secondary, and tons more job openings. Good luck

13. mfsx7lm3

mfsx7lm3 New commenter

I had a three year break whilst having my kids. I got back in by doing 3 things:

1. Signed up for supply (only did a few days in the end but gave me relevant and recent experience to discuss at interviews).
    2. Taught at a Kip McGrath centre one night a week ( a lovely environment For getting back into it with small groups)
    3. Tutored online an online school (which was mostly just marking rather than actual tutoring) in my own time and at home.

I then applied for jobs. Failed 4 interviews but then the 4th phoned me up offering me cover work. Ended up being There for a term which was enough for them to give me a good reference. Got my 5th interview.

agathamorse likes this.
  14. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

You don't need to retrain, just need to convince a head you can do it.
    A year or so of supply in primary as well as secondary will be probably enable the OP to get their face known locally and enable them to build up their skills in teaching primary.

agathamorse likes this.