1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Getting Back Into Teaching

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by chlojo, Oct 18, 2011.

1. I am an NQT who completed my PGCE in 2008. Since then I have taught in two separate schools in KS2. In both schools I was not supported properly by my mentor, I had considerable behaviour problems in my classes and I ended up suffering from depression. I left the first school after 1.5 terms which were wiped from my history by the LEA because the school had behaved so appallingly. I left the second school after 2.75 terms so that I did not fail induction completely andnow have 1 final term to complete and pass as the first two terms of my induction were rated as failures.
    I took a break from teaching for 8 months and then this summer term I started doing long-term supply in a local school and they were considering extending my contract into this year, however, I had an accident, had to take a week off school and they didn't want me back.
    I have now been virtually unemployed since July and my confidence is shattered. I am registered with an agency but the prospect of walking into a classroom on day to day supply in a class I don't know and with potentially no plans makes me feel physically sick.
    I know that I am great with kids and that I can plan and teach good lessons when I feel confident and in control but I am really concerned about what has happened to my career. I am 33 years old, have a mortgage to pay and am beginning to regret my teacher training.
    Over the summer I went back to working with teenagers which I really enjoyed, I also much prefer working in small groups and on a 1:1 basis with challenging young people and am very good at this.
    I am so concerned now that my history in schools will turn agencies and potential schools against me but feel that it is important for the rest of my career that I complete my induction and fully qualify.
    Does anyone have any advice or ideas about what I should do?

2. Hoping2012

Hoping2012 New commenter

Hi
    Wow wounds like you have had a rough time. Hang on in there. Supply work is great confidence booster, and as for no plans, when i was supplying the agency always recommended having a couple of lesson, just in case there are no plans. But almost all the schools i have been to have had plans, and if they did not, there was someone to let you know what you should be doing.
    <u> </u>There are many opps to work with small groups and also 1:1, just need to search for it. This will also help you boost your confidence. Maybe do this first to build your confidence then tackle completing your NQT year.
    I take it you have to do your full NQT year again?
    Hang on in there!

3. Hoping2012

Hoping2012 New commenter

There are opps to do this. Maybe ask the tda if you can complete your NQT year in a special school, as you would be working in small groups, etc... and you have said you enjoy this.
    All the best!!
    Not all schools are like the ones you have described, there are many good schools out there. Have you tried going back to the schools where you trained? As they know you and know how you work they may be able to provide a opportunity for you....

4. Hoping2012

Hoping2012 New commenter

Are with a union? as when this happened you shouold contact them, as they are there to support you.
    Also teachers support network, a good place to contact.

5. Hoping2012

Hoping2012 New commenter

are you in a union? if so when this happens you need to contact them, as they can help

Another good place to contact is teachers support network
    hope this helps

6. Do contact the teacher support network
    http://teachersupport.info/
    They are there to provide help and support and can give you advice on getting back your lost confidence.
    Try your union as well - if you are still a memeber - if not join one and ask for some help and support.
    Day to day supply can be hard, but it is also a way of seeing a variety of schools and if there is one that you like and they like you then it could be a good match to complete induction.
    You will have very difficult classes and days on supply, but it can be a way back into the classroom.
    James

7. Thank you for the support everyone. At my first school my union were amazing and really helped me out. At the second school the union support was horrendous, he wasn't bothered and more worried about keeping good relations with my head than actually trying to support me so I ended up doing everything I could on my own and left the union in the end.
    I hadn't heard about the teacher support network but will check them out and maybe join a union again.
    Thanks Again.