1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Getting back into teaching after leaving due to stress

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by afterdark, Jul 12, 2012.

1. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

No but there is plenty of work abroad. As a physics teacher there is big demand for science.
    The children are wonderful where I work, and the pay is tax free.
    It is in the middle east.
    It is against the rules of the forum to name schools.
    Something to think about.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I'm sorry that you have been unwell, but pleased that you are now back on track.
    My first advice is not to go via an agency of any kind. Schools are reluctant to appoint in this way due to the very high fees that they are charged.
    Secondly - follow all the advice on here for your application.
    Here's a summary here.
    Thirdly make sure your application emphasises your enthusiasm for Physics and teaching in general, say that you have been unwell, are now 100% recovered, and your experience has led you to develop coping strategies that mean that you are now much better able than other people to deal with the everyday stresses of teaching and life in general.
    Best wishes

3. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

They are just a useless agency and believe me, there are loads of good ones and bad ones. Get it behind you and start looking again. You could post in supply or personal but yes take it as a bad experience from someone whose life isn't going well sharing some of their negativity with you.
    I would address the post to Theo, who is really brilliant at giving advice about how to discuss leaving your job etc. Perhaps you are wording it in a way that sends alarm bells signalling, or a look of anxiety comes over your face when you discuss it. Once you know the right language of how to say it, the next phase is to practice saying it in the mirror or record yourself saying it (use your mobile etc), so that it doesn't cause a problem to disclose it. I have an issue I have to get over to employers and I've worked it through.
    What they need to be assured is that you are fine now and most importantly you have a support structure in place to ENSURE you will never feel that way again. And I hope you have. I would ask your GP for a referral to counselling so you have support when you get back into work and to deal with the anxieties and look at alternative therapies such as Tai Chi, Yoga and Pilates to calm you down and centre you. Check out MP3s on Amazon that deal with 'Relaxation or How to Deal with Stress'
    But this agency, is BAD, BAD for you right now. Find one run by humans please and repost your question with a 'Dear Theo.' Best wishes.

4. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll put it down to a poor agency and keep going through the normal routes.
    I'll definitely work on my explanation of the whole thing to make sure I'm not scaring them!
    Now to work out what to do until January!

5. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

Good for you!
    Best wishes.

6. I hope you manage to restart your career and wish you all the best. But schools will look at your application and have serious concerns. These may well be completely unfounded and I know nothing about you - but best to know so you can address and circumvent! They will read "off with stress" as - all schools are stressful, our school is stressful at times, maybe this means he/she can't cope and will go off with stress at our school and cost us a lot of money and inconvenience. I don't know how you're phrasing this in your application letter if mentioning it at all, but if you say your stress was due to being "unsupported" by the school they will also have alarm bells going. What does this person mean by "support"? Does this person require others to: plan their lessons, mark their students' work, help deal with their students' behaviour problems, need lots of 1-1 mentoring and ask questions all day long... We just need someone to get on with things and not be really demanding and time consuming! Like I said, these are just possible thoughts and concerns they might have. Perhaps you could phrase your time off as unrelated to teaching without outright lying? I feel you need to separate your "illness" from your teaching career and stress how you are now completely recovered.