1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Getting back into International Teaching?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Chemteacher01, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Chemteacher01

Chemteacher01 New commenter

Hi all,

I used to teach in an International School in Thailand and loved it (one of the top ones). I left a few years back and have been teaching in New Zealand and even though it has been great I have the urge to go back.

I was wondering, do you think it will be easy to get back into Internationally teaching even though I haven't been teaching the British Curriculum. I have been keeping up to date with it, but not physically teaching it.

I currently teach Senior Chemistry and Maths (I'm 35 also, if that changes anything) am I too old?

Any advice is greatly appreciated

2. towncryer

towncryer Lead commenter

Does it have to be the British Curriculum? Why not try the IB?

3. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

There are international schools of all stripes out there. Throw your hat in the ring.
    I agree, try the IB.

4. Chemteacher01

Chemteacher01 New commenter

Ah never thought about IB... have done my research on it though.

Many schools ask for IB experience. Any thoughts on this? How would you get experience if not exposed to it?

5. Silky22

Silky22 New commenter

I
    Hi
    I have a post for you in Oman! Mark.Silcox@rgotc.edu.om

Chemteacher01 likes this.
  6. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Of course we love it when applicants already have IB experience. But every year we hire some candidates who don't. It's simple math - more IB schools every year, means more IB positions needed every year, means a bunch of new IB teachers needed every year.
    Do your research, show your philosophical alignment, demonstrate knowledge that there is more than 1 IB program, know the basics of your subject in your age groups... you're in with a chance.

7. kemevez

kemevez Occasional commenter

NZ teachers are more often than not a better fit for the IB than teachers from elsewhere in the Anglosphere.

To answer your OP, it won’t be an issue. If you have worked at a top British curriculum school in Thailand and are from NZ, you have a great chance of getting a good job in one of the better schools. Do consider IB though...

8. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 Occasional commenter

And you've got a desirable subject. Job almost guaranteed if you want it somewhere.

9. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

Yep, agree with the above posters, most decent schools would look very favourably on your experience and subject offers!