1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Getting away with "alleged" murder.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by peakster, Dec 15, 2019.

1. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Pretty disgusting really.

Harry Dunn’s mother has said she is “distraught” after the American suspect in the crash that killed the teenager was filmed back behind the wheel.

Dunn, 19, died after his motorbike was involved in a head-on collision with a car outside RAF Croughton in Northamptonshire on 27 August.

Anne Sacoolas, 42, the wife of a US technical intelligence officer, claimed diplomatic immunity and was able to return to America.

She refused to answer questions as she was filmed by ITV News at the wheel of her car reversing out of a driveway before pulling away.

Harry’s mother, Charlotte Charles, was left in tears after viewing the footage and told the broadcaster: “[I’m] distraught to be honest.

“She’s clearly just going about her normal day, driving and taking the kids to school.

“She looks well, she looks calm, the house is all decorated with Christmas stuff – candy canes on the driveway, lights around the tree.

caress and Morninglover like this.
  2. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Alleged murder is very different from alleged manslaughter. Is there new evidence or is it just an inappropriate thread title.
    (Why is alleged in inverted commas? It is alleged , isn't it?)

Kandahar, WB and artboyusa like this.
  3. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

It must have been so difficult for the parents to watch this. They must feel as though Sacoolas doesn't care and it sadly appears that this is so. How do they cope with that especially at Christmas? It is so very sad.

Laphroig and HelenREMfan like this.
  4. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

Same result for the grieving parents.

Dodros likes this.
  5. WB

WB Occasional commenter

Do you really believe she sat down at home and thought "right I'm going to get in my, run over Harry and kill him."

6. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Course not.

People still end up in prison for it though.

Or not.

7. WB

WB Occasional commenter

Then it's wrong to say murder.

In inverted commas.

Or not.

Kandahar likes this.
  8. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

It sounds to me like a horrific accident, with lethal consequences, which no doubt left the driver devastated. Any one of us could find ourselves in that unthinkable position one day., I hope to God we don't.

If we do though, I am sure we would do anything we could to make reparations, stopping to see if there is anything we can do for the dying man, staying and giving a full, detailed account to the police, tking what ever punishment deemed fit by the courts.

Running away and ignoring what you have done is unforgivable

Sally006, Bedlam3, Pageant and 8 others like this.
  9. nomad

nomad Star commenter

The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) confirmed it had started extradition proceedings through the Home Office.

Kandahar and florian gassmann like this.
  10. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

The Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab said a review into the immunity arrangements at Croughton for US personnel and their families had concluded. It found that it was an "anomaly" that family members had "greater protection from UK criminal jurisdiction than the officers themselves".

According to a report in the Guardian, it seems that under arrangements agreed in 1964, US staff members at the base “pre-waived” their immunity against criminal prosecution in the UK, but this was not done for their families. If that is true, it is not clear how Mrs Sacoolas can now be extradited to face charges, but I guess all will eventually become clear.

11. peakster

peakster Star commenter

The chances of her coming back are slim to none.