1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Getting asked to provide more references

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by Mrsmumbles, Sep 30, 2018.

1. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Just wondered if anyone else who used Shooter Hunt (TH) has suddenly had red flashing alerts pop up saying that you cannot respond to a parental email about a possible job until you have uploaded yet more references from happy clients? I mean, they have feedback, they have my DBS...lots of happy clients would rather not offer their contacts to TH! So down the polling list I drop. Despite excellent results and feedback. I think someone at this firm should seriously reconsider this dumbo strategy. In terms of sharing data, it’s also a massive headache. Why can’t they just stop fixing what was not even broken?

2. gainly

gainly Occasional commenter

Yes I've also found this. I have as many students as I want at present so I decided to ignore it for now, maybe have to do something eventually.

3. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

This is what prompted an earlier thread, but I didn't name the site because the mods would have pulled the post. I hope the site in question reads this, because what they are doing is bloody stupid and irritating. If one has been with them for years, had numerous clients off them, and several five star reviews, then what is the point (other than annoying tutors) of asking for more references.

4. Mrsmumbles

Thanks. Glad it’s just me! Ah, we live in such a safeguarded and compliant world! Talk about being awkward and overkill...

5. gainly

I can't see how this actually contributes to safeguarding. Obviously you are only going to give referees who you know will say something nice about you. I would have thought that the feedback was much more useful as you have no control over which students give feedback.

6. BG54

BG54 New commenter

Getting an enquiry would be progress for me on that site so far in this academic year! I've found a couple of the other sites to have been far more rewarding. If they start asking me for extra refs I'll consider deleting my account.

7. Mrsmumbles

It is a pain. Where I am, the bulk of the urban schools have now failed, so it’s pretty full on. By 2020 you’ll be turning work away, I’m sure!

8. David Getling

My thoughts exactly.

9. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Lead commenter

I have had the same thing with TH, @Mrsmumbles. The red flags came up but they did not stop me from answering the enquiry. It would be in TH's interest to prevent you. I would find badgering my clients to put feedback on the TH website embarrassing. I suppose positive comments might benefit me but I object to providing advertising copy for TH.

In general, TH has deteriorated over the last year. This new blanket enquiry thing leaves you with leads for subjects you do not teach, in areas you do not live.

Mrsmumbles and BG54 like this.
  10. Kat100Kat

Kat100Kat New commenter

I agree with J R. I would find it embarrassing asking parents for feedback. I’ve been tutoring for a couple of years now and have no references. I would feel awkward getting in touch with ex students’ parents to ask for them. If TH won’t let me proceed without references I will have to look for another platform to advertise my services.

BG54 likes this.
  11. David Getling

My reviews are all unsolicited. As a tutor is in a position of power, asking students for reviews is completely unethical! Sadly, several websites encourage this reprehensible behaviour. A reasonable scan of tutors' profiles will also turn up a goodly number with very poor English, followed by copious 5 star reviews, often also poorly written: no doubt by friends and relatives.

sparkleghirl likes this.
  12. gainly

The references they are asking for on TH are not the same as feedback. I've never asked any of my students to provide feedback but quite a few have done so, thankfully all 5 star so far. I suppose I could ask two of those students or their parents to be referees, it just seems pointless.

I haven't tried to use the site since the warning messages came up, presumably it will let you answer enquiries but not exchange details until you get references.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  13. gainly

I've sent a message to TH asking them to explain the point of this. I'll let you know if I hear anything, probably if I do it will be a load of waffle about safeguarding.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  14. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

I doubt it's about safeguarding really. It'll be about making their site look relevant and up to date and current. It's a nonsense, it pees off tutors and students/parents alike.

I was briefly registered with this agency but got fed up of pointless emails from them. Fortunately I have enough students to keep me busy for now, a couple of a waiting list, and not one of them came from TH.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  15. gainly

I did receive a reply from TH but they didn't answer my question as to what the point was, just said it was a new feature.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  16. David Getling

I talked to the guy who runs it some time back, and he seemed OK. So, it sounds like you got a reply from one of the oily rags (and a lazy stupid one at that), rather than the engineer.

17. gainly

Or from the monkey rather than the organ grinder.

David Getling likes this.
  18. PeterDrake1000

PeterDrake1000 New commenter

[This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

19. Mrsmumbles

Well indeed. I’ve just managed to get one ref done but the other parent is abroad now and may not be contactable. Infuriating because not even half my stuff comes from the site and now I have deleted records of old former clients...gah!

20. Mrsmumbles

Well I hope the post was interesting...it was entirely censored! Not a scooby what you said!