1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Getting another job

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by RedWelshDragon, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Hello
    I have worked as a Head of Year in a secondary school for 7 years and would like to find a similar job in a school nearer my home. I love being a Head of Year but rarely see such a post advertised. Do you think it is worth sending a CV to all my local schools and asking if they have any vacancies? Thanks for any advice offered.

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

No, I don't see this as anything other than a waste of your time. Check the TES every Friday for vancancies in the area you want. Takes a couple of minutes and costs nothing.

3. I think giving out CV's to local schools is a good idea, what's the worst that could happen?
    As middlemarch said TES is a great way to find job vacancies!

4. Do both. However, many schools seem to prefer to 'home grow' their pastoral staff and hence don't advertise such posts. Good luck.

5. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Safer recruitment training now specifies that CVs should not be used as part of an application. You'll be wasting your time sending one out.

6. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

It's extremely unlikely that a school with a vacancy will see your CV and decide not to advertise in the TES - so you'd have to apply as normal following the ad anyway.
    It's just a waste of time, paper and money.

7. Not if successful it isn't! I've had success when using this method before, when I was looking to complete my NQT!