1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Getting a UK secondary school placement through the American Teach Now programme

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Arsenalfc, May 26, 2020.

1. Arsenalfc

Arsenalfc New commenter

Hi everyone,

My husband is considering the Teach Now programme which is an American online teacher training program.

He will need to obtain a teaching placement so he can complete the final unit of the course. Has anyone had experience with this programme and how easy would it be to get a UK maintained secondary school to take him on in March 2021 (discounting the COVID situation at the moment)?

Many thanks in advance,

Arsenalfc

2. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

It is certainly achievable, but there will be a cost. Usually, the cost is borne by both the provider (insurance, preparatory CPD in prevent, FGM etc.) and the placement provider (material costs and hourage of people's time, plus the risk presented to the children's education which is normally offset by the opportunity to recruit trainees). So I would imagine you should look at a cost of around £3k for a single several month placement. You would then need to find a school prepared to give up the opportunity for a uk trainee in exchange for yourself. It’s achievable, but you would be advised to start the legwork in September. If you are affluent enough, consider engaging an agency to arrange this on your behalf for a fee. That would save you a lot of work.
    You can canvass schools to do this for free, but your success rate would be somewhat lower.

3. Arsenalfc

Arsenalfc New commenter

Thanks for your response Mr Media. Really helpful.

4. Arsenalfc

Arsenalfc New commenter

Hi Mr Media, I have been reflecting on your answer and would like to ask a couple of questions;

1. The amount of £3k was quite a shock. I knew there would be an amount but did not realise it would be this amount. Can I ask how you came to this amount - for example, is this the typical amount a university would pay a school?

Also, would you be able to let us know how we go about sourcing an agency to assist with the placement arrangements?

Many thanks

Arsenalfc