1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Getting a teaching job in Australia

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by mrmurdoch1, Feb 14, 2018.

1. mrmurdoch1

mrmurdoch1 New commenter

Hi all,

my first post ever, i have recently been searching about the best way to get a sponsorship for teaching in Australia. Never looked into it before, An agency that i called expressed about the legislation changing this month and they do not know what will happen.

i was wondering if there was any reliable places i could apply through? Failing that, could someone shed light on where the best place is to look for employment positions being advertised.

Thank you,
    Luke.

2. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Lead commenter

3. schmedz

schmedz Occasional commenter

Several colleagues have moved to Australia to teach and without exception all have complained about how expensive and onerous the process is. Only one obtained a job before arrival (at an exclusive private school) but he was married to an Australian and had a different category of visa.
    All the others had to wait to find work until they arrived.
    It is apparently possible (usually when posh schools want to import a new UK Head or SMT member), but there is no TES equivalent in states/territories of Australia, so you need to do a lot of independent research if you'd like a private school and sign up for job alerts individually. If you're looking to go into the state system, each state/territory has it's own Education board and procedures for applying to state schools (usually centrally controlled) so best to try to narrow down where you'd like to live and go to the appropriate website for the state/territory in which that place is.
    If you'd like to go to a rural area and/or out of an East Coast city, you will probably have more luck than trying to compete against the hundreds of Australian teachers who are unable to find permanent jobs!

4. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Established commenter

from my experience of teaching expat Australian children, (mainly from the Perth area) the state education system must be of a very low standard.... just sayingo_O