1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

getting a satisfactory due to behaviour

Discussion in 'Primary' started by marlin, Jun 10, 2011.

1. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

Unless this observation was for something official, the only opinion that matters here is that of your current headteacher who knows you best. She thinks highly of you and knows exactly what progress you have made with the class. I think you are right to feel disappointed, but there isn't a lot you can do about it I'm afraid except [​IMG] !
    It does sound as if you have made amazing progress from those 'Oh my goodness days'. Well done for that. [​IMG]

2. yeah I think I'm doing really well seeing asi only get low level disruption now, compared to what I used to get.
    Ah well, my mentor said if I had a good class I could get good/outstanding :)
    But i don't, oh well

3. littlerussell

littlerussell New commenter

The observer may be right in his/her interpretation, depending on the level of disruption.
    Good = all (or almost all) children making good or better progress.
    So, if the behaviour meant that more than a couple isolated individuals did not make "good" progress, then the lesson was graded correctly. Lesson judgements are meant to be a reflection of the Teaching AND Learning which is going on in that classroom. It would appear that you and your head already know that there is a problem with this group of children, and the observation simply reflects that.
    Those children are doing well considering their past history, but still not well enough to be "good". So something needs to happen now to improve them further. A narrow-minded view (unfortunately adopted by some SLTs) is that it's all down to you, so they focus on your teaching. A more enlightened head may be looking around other types of support ... maybe you need more TA support? better SEN provision for EBD? a review of the school behaviour policy if it isn't working? What happens now is absolutely critical. If the issue isn't with the teaching (as the observer seems to have found), then nothing will get better if the SLT decide to try to improve your teaching.
    The key to unlocking all of this is in the feedback ... if there are real, workable strategies in the action points that you can do, then you try them, and the school might target you for support in doing so. If the observer is saying that you did all the right things but the learning still wasn't good, then things will only improve if the big picture is looked at. Hopefully your head will be able to see the difference!

4. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

Really don't worry, your headteacher's opinion is the only one that really matters.
    A few years ago, I had a nit-picky observation from our LA where the observer said the teaching was excellent and most children made progress but she could only give me unsatisfactory because one boy wasn't listening. I was happy that he wasn't setting fire to anything.

Hasn't made the slightest bit of difference to me, the way I teach or my career. My lessons now vary between satisfactory, good and outstanding, depending on who is watching and what the latest buzzword is that they have kicking around in their head.

Well done on all the progress you have made with your class so far!

5. Cervinia

Cervinia Occasional commenter

In the past 2 months, I've read a few of your posts and have come to the conclusion that you're attempting to justify/prove yourself (to yourself mostly) as a good teacher. Have some confidence and accept that you've learnt much but still have a hell of a lot more to learn on the road (as have all of us).
    My advice would be:
    • Don't take what others say about your classroom practice too much to heart, they're (in most cases) not being personal but are (usually) trying to help.
    • If this person said low level disruption is holding you back, then sort it out. It it difficult to identify culprits, the causes of it, the nature of it, to maintain consistency when dealing with it. But it is ultimately worth doing (/required for effective teaching/learning).
    • If you were an outstanding teacher, as an NQT, with a challenging class, after only a few months in the job, where exactly would that leave you to progress to?
    • You've got a challenging class, I get it.
    Very rarely, in my experience, are classes 'good' in September. They require training, some more than others but you need to keep a positive attitude and high expectations.

6. Cervinia

Cervinia Occasional commenter

Oh, an, good luck. [​IMG]

7. thankyou for all the responses
    And to my comment about me getting good/outstanding, i didn;t explain very well, my mentor meant I would eventually get this grade with a better class

and I am trying with the low level disruption, but I still get it..

The quote from the head who observed me was
    "you have problems with the behaviour, but I don't know what you can do about it:"

8. The thing is they need to give feedback realistically. If Ofsted were to come in next week and you had any disruptive behaviour they would give you satisfactory, or potentially inadequate.
    It would be unfair on you to give you anything more than satisfactory if you are still having behaviour management issues as it could set you up for a fall in the above scenario.

9. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Considering the way this class were just a few weeks ago when you first had them, I think you should be feeling extremely proud to have got them to a point where their behaviour, and thus the lesson, is satisfactory.

10. I am proud of where I have got the class with their behaviour, I feel I have come a long way with them,
    maybe I thought she would accept that more and not have it as a big negative on my feedback form or she would offer suggestions as to how she thinks I can improve my low level disruption.

11. Did you know that you are entitled to challenge the grading? Particularly if it will be used for your performance management or NQT assessments. Rather that letting it fester, you should discuss this with your head. Take the observation criteria and explain how you addressed the good/outstanding section of each criteria.

12. I did not know that!!
    I will speak to my head on monday

13. Not sure why posts suggest only HT views count as increasingly more and more schools federate and make other less formal links there will be more and more cross school obs etc and tehy are valid
    Also cant be good if not majority making good progress and learning. You may well be making impact on behaviour issues and can see improvement all of which is good but when it comes to grading lesson the above criteria stands thats why those who work in tough areas have to work so much harder to get good and those in better areas can actually get good+ with less work in many ways
    Not read lots of your posts but dont understand why you are so put out by a satisfactory mark

14. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Who cares what the Old Trout thinks? Your pay cheque stays the same, no?