1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Getting a routine Drs appointment

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by lizgaskell, Dec 27, 2018.

1. lizgaskell

lizgaskell Occasional commenter

what a mess the NHS is in. I have been having issues with my coil for a while and it's been a trial trying to get to the doctors for appointments. I have been for appointments all over the town, at different surgeries, since October, and finally now get get a new one fitted . Today I popped in to make an appointment and literally cannot get one for three weeks and apparently they are not available after 2.45pm.

How are full time working people expected to do this? I should not have to ask school to cover me for routine procedures, surely? I was there ages just stunned that it is impossible and she gave me a card for a local sexual health clinic that might be able to help. But I have been told I need a scan afterwards too and must see my G. P to be referred for this. The receptionist just seemed unable to help!

Sorry but needed to rant.

Anyone else struggling with appointments?

2. ATfan

ATfan Star commenter

Hi!

I agree with you, although I wouldn't call your appointment 'routine'. My GP is very good and only works part-time, so I always had at least a 2 week wait to book an appointment with her (if I was lucky) until I discovered the wonderful online patient access website. Since then, appointment booking has been a doddle and I get to see her far more quickly!

Hope that your appointment goes well!

lizgaskell likes this.
  3. lizgaskell

Thanks for responding ATfan. I am so frustrated ! Will check in they morning if they have an online access for patients but we do seem to be stuck in the dark ages here!

ATfan likes this.
  4. ATfan

ATfan Star commenter

My surgery was too until about 2 years ago, luckily for me. Good luck!

5. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

My surgery has just gone over to online triage for same days appointments .
    How awful for people like my dad who is elderly and no computercomputer . These things might be great for some but it always assumes everyone has internet access.
    Good luck getting your appointment. We have a you can only book one week in advance appointments which is equally frustrating.

ATfan likes this.
  6. lizgaskell

Hi grumbleweed

In the end I was forced to go to a drop in clinic! Still traumatised and certain that someone might have seen me there and assume I had had a very erm, interesting Xmas.

Also, not a doctor. A very competent nurse and I'm done but not sure what I will do next time I need to have something 'intimate' done