1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Getting a reference from head teacher

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Ds2d12, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Ds2d12

Ds2d12 Occasional commenter

Before I broke up for summer, I wasn’t planning on needing a reference. However, I now need one and want to be leaving at Christmas. How would you approach a headteacher who will only allow face to face requests for references?

2. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Email the PA and request a meeting. Explain you are job hunting and wish to explain this in person.

3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

What CWadd says.

A head is entitled to require f2f meeting and actually, as long as you haven't fallen out with head, you'll probably get a better reference that way. Or at least one better focussed on the new jobs you are applying for if head understands why you want to leave and why you reapplying for the types of jobs you will be applying for.

Marshall likes this.
  4. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

Agree with Rott Weiler.

Why don't you want to meet with him or her?

5. Chesters8

Chesters8 New commenter

It's quite impressive that the head wants to meet with anyone requiring a reference; you will probably get a more relevant and specific reference and it gives you the opportunity to help the head understand the kind of roles you are interested in.
    If the issue is that it is still holiday time, then email and ask for a meeting as soon as possible in the new term.

01ade likes this.
  6. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

...and take copies of the relevant job descriptions with you: this will help your HT crat a supportive reference for you.

7. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

Send an email to your HT or their PA (if they have one) and ask for a meeting as soon as possible- are you secondary? The HT will no doubt be there then so you could ask- if you are primary, I can imagine that the HT will be in school from the last week of August (after bank holiday) so you can arrange to go and see them then.

8. DexterDexter

DexterDexter Occasional commenter

Follow the above advice but don't panic if you get a bland reference. More schools are centralising their references through HR which means fairly plain references so if this happens, yours shouldn't stand out. Employers just need to know that you have worked there (and not been in prison) and you haven't killed or hurt anyone!

9. Ds2d12

Ds2d12 Occasional commenter

Thanks for the advice. I don’t actually want to leave until next Easter/summer. So it just feels so early and I’m worried if things change. I plan to teach abroad and looking at online agencies that require references for my profile

DexterDexter likes this.