1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Getting a primary teaching job after living abroad for 10 years

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by lef001, Dec 29, 2015.

1. lef001

lef001 New commenter

Hi. Wanting to suss out job prospects after living in NZ for nearly 10 years. I've been doing supply teaching there and working in the education sector as a subject advisor to schools/teachers for a national education programme which includes teaching. Wanting to return to Dorset area, can see plenty of jobs but not sure how attractive a 50 year old is, although would bring 20+years UK experience and plenty of enthusiasm. I was previously UPS, thresholded teacher. Any experiences/advice shared would be gratefully received.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
  2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Good morning and welcome to our forum!

Your issue is going to be explaining how you are still on top of UK education. So take out a subscription to the TES and read it - online- religiously every week.

The South - apart from Devon and Cornwall - is generally a good area for job hunting at present.

And here are two more ways to identify them

Get the TES Jobs App

How to set up a Job Alert

Jobseeking for the older candidate

Yes, but . . .

Yes but your past - or current salary - is immaterial when getting a new job as salaries are no longer automatically carried over to the next post.

No more Pay Portability, no more pay scale, no more automatic moving up the scale.

And you need to read this too

Returning to the UK after teaching abroad

And then read this

Get ready for the application season!

And if all that isn't enough homework for you, there is this suite of articles all about how to write an outstanding application that showcases your strengths and what you can offer a school. I have included ones that are not relevant to you, such as the NQT one, for the benefit of others reading this.

2. Applying for a job in a school I suggest that you read these in this order

NQTs start here! *** N.B. ***

Do I have to tell my Head I am applying elsewhere?

Pre-application visits to schools

Why you should always include an E.S. in an application

How to get shortlisted for a teaching job *** The basic advice***

How NOT to get shortlisted

How do schools shortlist candidates?

Common errors found in applications

The Truth, the Whole Truth, and Nothing but the Truth!

Who should be my referees?

Can I see my references?

Can your Head write a negative reference for you? Or refuse to write one? Can you see what was written... ***NEW ***

Step-by-step: How to write an E.S. *** More basic advice ***

Executive summaries - where to start when no person specification

Person Spec too long - how do I do an E.S.? And where do I put it? *** Beginners start here ***

Application form: how to present long list of posts outside education

How can I provide details of examination results?

Can I omit, on an application, a period spent teaching abroad?

No CPD to put on the application form!

5 common errors in applications

Best wishes for 2016!

Landofla likes this.
  3. lef001

lef001 New commenter

Thank so much for the information-a bit daunting, doesn't sound like there is a shortage of primary teachers in UK..

Just a question i would be grateful of advice on:
    Would it be better to give references from my most recent teaching in NZ (although these would be supply teaching/council, ) or from the last UK schools i worked in?
    Thanks again.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

There is in some places. Large industrial cities. But less so in Dorset.

Both!

They will require a reference from your most recent employer in NZ, and then from somebody with knowledge of your performance in a UK school. The problem is that the latter will be very much out of date. Your best bet would be getting some supply work, if possible, in the UK before applying for a permanent or long-term post.

Good luck!