1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Getting a post over the summer

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by scienceteacha, Aug 16, 2012.

1. scienceteacha

scienceteacha New commenter

Dear all:-

I have registered with 9 (nine) agencies in a large city. On Job search sites there are often 'vacancies' advertised through agencies but when I call them asking if I have been put forward 'the consultant is on annual leave' or 'references are still coming through?'
    Is this a common experience?

Do agencies actually actively put people's details to schools during the holidays? Or is the bottleneck the fact that no-one is in the school?

2. This is just a ploy. The jobs don't actually exist. Either they were filled ages ago or they never existed in the first place. Wait until schools are back in September, then there MAY be some work about. Otherwise look in local papers and the TES.

3. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

You won't be put forward for anything until they get the CRB clearance.
    SLT in schools do not have the 6 week holiday that teachers have so there will usually be someone in school at most stages of the summer break.
    I agree with your placing of the word vacancies in inverted commas. In my experience, those adverts are often ruses to get people registering with the agency. It costs the agency nothing to have an over supply of supply teachers on their books. In fact, I suspect that some make a profit on the CRB fee that they charge and cover their office overheads in the summer break from the amount they charge over and above the fee sent to Capita.
    I used to work only for LA supply services but decided, when supply work was diminishing, to register with one private agency. I paid the fee and never had a single session of work from them. They then contacted me about a year later telling me that I'd need another CRB to stay on their books. No chance!
    Keep receipts for nay CRBs you've paid for and claim tax relief on them from the Inland revenue

4. I went for an informal interview at a school yesterday. This was after answering a job advert on something like cv library.
    I have had to do a new CRB which isn't through yet. The consultant is new at an old agency I had worked with before and I think it makes all the difference. There are some good consultants as well as there being random job opportunities, and often you need all the factors to come together at the same time. Often this can be luck.

5. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

As someone has said there are SLT lurking in schools during the holidays, I've had 2 of my long term jobs arranged at the end of August when staff went on long term sick during the holidays.

6. . Wait until schools are back in September, then there MAY be some work about. Otherwise look in local papers and the TES.[​IMG]