1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Getting a Physics teaching position in Hong Kong

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by agaskell, Oct 17, 2011.

  1. Hello,
    My other half and I are hoping to move to Hong Kong next year. He has got a job in the pipeline so it is now just down to me to get myself a job.
    I'm a physics teacher so I know we are a fairly rare breed but with this being my second year teaching (last year being my NQT) I'm a bit nervous about not having huge amounts of experience. Does anyone know if this might hold me back?
    Also, any tips/advice/anything on getting a job in HK would be MASSIVELY appreciated. It's all a bit nerve wracking having my boyfriend all lined up to work out there and me just keeping my fingers crossed if a job comes up, I get an interview, and if I get it!!!
    Thanks in advance.
  2. Staffo

    Staffo New commenter

    You have a reasonably good chance of securing something before the summer. The big time for recruitment is about to start, and the job fairs in London in Jan/Feb will certainly be worth attending.
    Try the ESF website - they only accept online applications (I think) and have seven secondary schools throughout Hong Kong. Kellett School also follows the UK curriculum, and I think that Canadian (CDNIS), Australian, Singaporean, Chinese and German-Swiss schools also hire UK qualified teachers. There are loads of other international schools too, but many won't recruit direct from the UK.
    Manhy HK international schools (all all ESF ones) follow the IB Diploma post-16 so you might want to do some research on that.
    Your inexperience could be an advantage. At a time when belts are being tightened, someone lower down the pay scale might be preferable.
    If all else fails... persuade him to marry you! As a spouse, you will be able to take part-time contracts, short-term contracts and supply work. But if you get a full-time job, file for divorce. HK law only allows one person in a married couple to receive a housing allowance, but both can if you are merely living in sin. And people say romance is dead... :)
    Let me know if you need to know more.
  3. David Getling

    David Getling Lead commenter

    I've certainly heard this said quite a few times.

    However, do be aware that HK is very high up on the list of desirable places to teach. So the competition for most positions will be intense. In the light of this, the marriage advice seems like a good idea.
  4. Thank you both so much for taking the time to respond. I'll definitely check out those schools and keep an eye on websites and recruitment fairs. I'll also keep my fingers (and everything else!) crossed!!!
    And Staffo - great romantic advice too! Much appreciated!!

Share This Page