1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Getting a permanent post

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by TheoGriff, Apr 30, 2011.

1. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Those of you who don't want to continue in supply must be wondering if it really is possible to get a permanent job in teaching. Well, it is getting harder and harder.
    There are large numbers of unemployed teachers out there. Almost half of the 2010 NQTs are still not in induction, over a quarter of the 2009 cohort in the same boat, and they are being joined by teachers currently being made redundant as schools face budget crises and falling rolls in Secondary. Are the tutors telling you this on your courses?
    There is a large drop in the number of jobs advertised this year. The first big job rush comes every year, the last 2 weeks of March. The TES is so heavy you can hardly pick it up.
    Did you see that this year? No, because it didn't happen. Up to a third fewer jobs available overall so far this year.
    The next big job rush is normally in May, but it depends on the people applying for the March jobs and handing in their notice. Which didn´t happen. So we are expecting fewer than normal again. And the same for the June rush - will it happen? People will leave - will they be replaced?
    Recently a Primary school advertised 2 jobs. They received 500 applications. Five hundred. Many of them asking to be considered for both positions.
    Fewer jobs, more applicants - you need to be really on the ball to succeed.
    Get expert advice to help you. This is where TES careers comes in.

<u>Stage 1: FREE advice</u>
    Go to the JobSeekers Forum and read the Welcome Thread. Browse the Forum, read what others say. Get expert advice from me - I post several times a week to give you the real advice from someone who knows what schools are looking for

<u>Stage 2: Pay to come to one of our seminars</u>
    Held at the TES Headquarters in London, sorry, we don't do them elsewhere (unless you get a group of 20 of you together!). We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, and do practical exercises to help you see what you need to do.
    Here are some recent comments from people who have attended:
    • Frankly, the best delivered seminar I have ever attended.
    • This has been a very useful and well organised seminar with practical tips for improving the difficult task of selling yourself.
    • Excellent advice, very helpful for executive summaries
    • This has been terrific and has really met my needs.
    • This was particularly useful for writing a personal statement
    • The pace was perfect and unlike some CPD activities, the practical sessions were enjoyable and useful.
    • I fully enjoyed the seminar and it has taught me a great deal. Specifically I found the practical activities very useful
    • Fantastic presenters, very useful, highly recommended.
    • Fabulous, really helpful!
    • I followed what I learnt on the seminar and have just landed my dream job!
    • After attending your course I have just accepted my first teaching post.
    • Since attending the course I've applied for two positions, and am shortlisted for both.
    Next one is Saturday 14th May www.tesweekendworkshop25.eventbrite.com
    This is an investment for your career.
    <u>Stage 2: Pay to have a personal meeting with me or with Prof John Howson</u>
    We help with career advice, with applications and executive summaries, and doing interview training. Here&acute;s a typical comment:
    <font face="Times New Roman">Really very useful. Really effective practice of interview &ndash; I had 3 [mock] interviews within the hour and really felt the improvement at the end. Strategies and content definitely a 5\5. Thank you!</font>
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me or John personally.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I'm told that there are just a few more places left, even though it&acute;s still 12 days to do. So book soon . . .