1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Getting a job to start induction

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by TheoGriff, Jun 9, 2011.

1. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You must be wondering if it really is possible to get a job in teaching. Well, it is getting harder and harder.
    There are large numbers of unemployed teachers out there. Almost half of the 2010 NQTs are still not in induction, over a quarter of the 2009 cohort in the same boat, and they are being joined by teachers currently being made redundant as schools face budget crises and falling rolls in Secondary. And teachers from Scotland and Ireland are also trying to get jobs in England and Wales as the crisis hits their areas too.
    Are the tutors telling you this on your courses?
    There is a large drop in the number of jobs advertised this year. The first big job rush comes every year, the last 2 weeks of March. The TES is so heavy you can hardly pick it up.
    Did you see that this year? No, because it didn't happen. Up to a third fewer jobs available overall so far this year.
    The next big job rush is normally in May, but it depends on the people applying for the March jobs and handing in their notice. Which didn´t happen. So we had fewer than normal again in May.
    And the same for the June rush due to start tomorrow- will it happen? People will leave - will they be replaced?
    Recently a Primary school advertised 2 jobs. They received 500 applications. Five hundred. Many of them asking to be considered for both positions.
    <u>Fewer jobs, more applicants - you need to be really on the ball to succeed</u>.

Get expert advice to help you. This is where TES careers comes in.

<u>Stage 1: FREE advice</u>
    Go to the JobSeekers Forum and read the Welcome Thread. Browse the Forum, read what others say. Get expert advice from me, TheoGriff - I post several times a week to give you the real advice from someone who knows what schools are looking for. Many posters have found that this advice really works.
    read theo's advice and do the executive summary people, it really does work, seriously!!!!
    Dear Theo: Executive summary works- I have an interview
    The benefit of an executive summary

<u>Stage 2: Pay to come to one of our Job seminars</u>
    Held at the TES Headquarters in London, sorry, we don't do them elsewhere (unless you get a group of 25 of you together!). We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, and do practical exercises to help you see what you need to do.
    Here are some recent comments from people who have attended:
    • Frankly, the best delivered seminar I have ever attended.
    • This has been a very useful and well organised seminar with practical tips for improving the difficult task of selling yourself.
    • Excellent advice, very helpful for executive summaries
    • This has been terrific and has really met my needs.
    • This was particularly useful for writing a personal statement
    • The pace was perfect and unlike some CPD activities, the practical sessions were enjoyable and useful.
    • I fully enjoyed the seminar and it has taught me a great deal. Specifically I found the practical activities very useful
    • Fantastic presenters, very useful, highly recommended.
    • Fabulous, really helpful!
    • I followed what I learnt on the seminar and have just landed my dream job!
    • After attending your course I have just accepted my first teaching post.
    • Since attending the course I've applied for two positions, and am shortlisted for both.
    Next one is on Sunday 26 June. www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com
    Probably more in the early autumn ready for the next lot of job ads to come out. Keep an eye out for the dates!
    This is an<u> investment for your career</u>.

<u>Stage 2: get small-group interview training.</u>
    Next one is on Sunday 26 June - you could combine it with the workshop above.
    <u></u>For more information and to register please visit: www.tesweekendworkshop35.eventbrite.com

<u>Stage 3: Pay to have a personal meeting with me, with Prof John Howson, or another member of the Careers Advice Team.</u>
    We help with career advice, with applications and executive summaries, and doing interview training. Here&acute;s a typical comment:
    Really very useful. Really effective practice of interview &ndash; I had 3 [mock] interviews within the hour and really felt the improvement at the end. Strategies and content definitely a 5\5. Thank you!

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book any of the meetings with me, John or another member of the team.
    Best wishes, TheoGriff

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Keep those questions coming on the JobSeekers Forum.
    Good luck!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    New <u>Job Seminars</u> on Sunday 26 June.
    www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com
    Probably more in the early autumn ready for the next lot of job ads to come out. Keep an eye out for the dates!

A new <u>Moving into Headship and SLT</u> seminar is on 18 June.
    See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.Look forward to seeing you!

3. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Dear Theo,
    I am sure that you are trying to be helpful and probably some of the things you have mentioned vis-a-vis the current lack of teaching jobs might indeed be very helpful for some NQTs reading the posts on this forum. However, all of these TES seminars and workshops and so cannot really disguise the fact that there are just too many NQTs chasing too few jobs. NQTS in Scotland probably have more chance of seeing the Loch Ness Monster than getting a teaching job north of the border. Therefore I am surprised and a bit disappointed that you have not even mentioned what the other choices might be for NQTs (apart from being unemployed!)
    I am currently teaching in a school in Doha, Qatar, and there are several NQTs teaching here as well. When I asked them how they felt about teaching overseas, rather than doing their induction year in the UK, they said that they would have preferred to have stayed in the UK, but it simply was not an option because there were so few jobs and so many teachers applying for them. Although it is not a satisfactory situation and the NQTs are teaching a full timetable, they felt that they had a simple choice: teach overseas or be unemployed.
    To be honest, an NQT who really wants to teach but who cannot get a job would probably be much better off doing a CELTA instead of coming to one of your TES courses. Although a CELTA is quite expensive and very hard work, it is an internationally recognised qualification (and that is not something that you can say about one of your TES workshops). More importantly, a CELTA opens up a lot of different avenues for teachers and it certainly adds a sparkle to the CV. My guess is that some schools in the UK would look very favourably upon an NQT who had done a CELTA and who had gained some valuable experience teaching overseas.
    When I read through some of the postings on the NQT forum, not to mention those on the "unemployed teachers" forum, I often feel the desperation and the sense of frustration that many young teachers must be experiencing because the job market is so difficult at the moment. All of the indications seem to suggest that it is only going to get worse in the forseeable future. Therefore, Theo, I believe that teaching overseas is the most sensible option - perhaps the only option - for a lot of young teachers.
    Yours sincerely,
    The Hippo

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Quite right. For the last couple of years I have been saying that they should Stop. Taking. On. So. Many. People. Onto. PGCE. Courses.
    Yes, a possible career overseas instead of JSA in the UK seems much better. I have visited a number of British-curriculum schools overseas, both as a consultant and just an interested party, and they can be very pleasant places for staff, with supportive parents, keen pupils, and good management.
    And no stress from UK government iniatives!
    The slight problem is that NQTs cannot do induction abroad (except in SCE schools), and will probably not get, in very many schools, the level of support that they get when they first begin teaching in the UK.
    I'm afraid that I'm not running a career advice service! Appointments to posts in UK schools is my speciality, and I wouldn't like to stray out of my area and give wider advice as it might not be very good. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that it wouldn't be good at all, if I branched out into other areas to advise people on!
    You may be right. But there are fewer of those posts nowadays too, aren't there, as staff are signing up for another period abroad instead of trying to get back to UK in current climate.
    The whole situation is dire. All these people dying to teach, keen to help pupils, anxious to start working - and they cannot.
    Makes me pretty mad, to be honest.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    New <u>Job Seminars</u> on Sunday 26 June.

A new <u>Moving into Headship and SLT</u> seminar is on 18 June.
    See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.Look forward to seeing you!