1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Getting a Job Overseas whilst on Supply ??

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by mrjack, Mar 1, 2016.

1. mrjack

mrjack Occasional commenter

I have taken Voluntary Redundancy as my current post was just making me unhappy. Has anyone here secured employment overseas whilst not currently employed or doing supply work ?

2. rachel_g41

rachel_g41 Established commenter

Kind of - when I got my first overseas post I was coming to the end of a temp contract which I had decided not to renew, though at the time of the application I was technically still employed there.

When I got my current job I had already left the previous one so was 'between jobs' and hadn't yet got around to registering for supply.

It can be done. It can even be an advantage - you can be available more quickly than someone who has to work a period of notice or stay until the end of a school year.

3. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Not sure you are going to get a definitive answer on this one. My own personal experience, I left the UK many years ago because I couldn't secure a full time position. I had spent 3 years doing long term cover and supply. I final had enough and took the leap, and I have never looked back since. all would say is go for it, it seems as if a lot of people in the UK are thinking the same. the numbers that are leaving are staggering, so get on to it now. By the way, the "main" recruitment period is pretty much done now. there are still jobs out there to apply for, but International schools recruit very differently to the way they do it in the UK (it takes time to set things up and arrange visa's etc), so if your are serious, then get your stuff together and start applying. TES is a good place to start, or Search Associates.

Good luck

4. marrsy_2000

marrsy_2000 New commenter

I got two lovely jobs last year that were maternity covers in international schools. I was doing a lot of short term supply in the UK (teaching science). I was happy to just take on a short overseas contract. It was a great experience and good for my cv. It can be done and I might have been abe to use them as a springboard to a longer contract if I had not wanted to come back to the uk.