1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Getting a job after September

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by worlo24, Oct 13, 2015.

1. worlo24

worlo24 Occasional commenter

Hi all,

Had a quick search on the forum but cannot find anything recent relating to this. Me and my partner are looking at teaching overseas from next academic year but wouldn't be ready to start the teaching post until about mid September. Just wondered whether anyone else has been in this position? Would it be worth applying for September starts and mentioning this in the interview or covering letter? Or would it be better to just apply for jobs late, as in immediate starts after September? We are a teaching couple so were hoping that should we do well enough in the interviews etc, the right school would be prepared to wait the few weeks until we are able to start post mid-September?

Any help/suggestions is greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. Jeremyinspain

Jeremyinspain Occasional commenter

I'd do both. Apply, explain and cross your fingers.
    The other track is to keep applying. I've been here ten years and you'd be surprised how many times people don't show up in September (or change their minds in October) leaving schools in a mad search for replacements in late Sept/early Oct.
    Mucha suerte.
    JD

3. happygreenfrog

happygreenfrog Occasional commenter

Our school year begins in January so don't discount applying for such schools and enjoying a couple of months in between your last job. As hippo mentions there are opportunities throughout the year and especially after the start of term BUT . . . you would either have to be out of work OR willing to quit a post at short notice, both being gamble in different ways if you may need to rely on a reference from that institution in future. Bottom line is that life is for living and without monetary commitments or ties, sometimes good to take a chance for a fresh start elsewhere, especially as schools like teaching couples as if often offers an opportunity to save costs, which in smaller school is a deal breaker.

4. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Yes, as usual, I am going to agree with the happygreenfrog. Of course there will be jobs popping up at all kinds of strange times during the course of the school year. Here in Shenzhen, my present school had a 100% turn up for the new batch of recruits, but our sister school did not do so well and three or four did not report to barracks. As Jeremyinspain quite rightly notes, this means that the head has to find a replacement asap or else perform open-heart surgery on the new school timetable, moving people around and restructuring things to cover the gaps. (Not a pleasant business.) Therefore getting some new teachers doublequick is to be preferred. If you just happen to have more or less the skills and experience required, then you will be offered a new job pronto, but you have to be available. Also make sure that your referees can be contacted quickly and easily.

5. TonyGT

TonyGT Established commenter

If you're good enough, it's a valid reason and they have he means to cover you then it won't be a problem.

However what you've got to think about is that in an interview situation with 6 potential candidates (or an application procedure with 100), the person who can't actually start until the middle of the first month had better be pretty damn special.

6. worlo24

Thanks guys. We are looking at teaching in Europe due to proximity to home for my partner and have been looking at the jobs coming available over the past few months and there seems to be a few out there. I think I will apply and mention it in the covering letter, therefore not wasting anyones time at interviews. We will be quitting our posts in the UK this summer and getting married over the summer so a bit of a hectic one. I will apply and cross my fingers and if not, wait until mid-September and see if any jobs are available then. Finally, do each school start at slightly different dates or all on the same. Eg. all international schools in Spain start on September 8th or set their own dates?

Thanks again

7. lottee1000

lottee1000 Occasional commenter

In Spain ,the school starting dates are set by each regional government, and then are generally (but not always) followed by international schools. In Valencia, this meant 95% international schools start at the same time, with the odd exception. Schools in Catalonia would possibly be different to this, but all the same as each other.

8. worlo24

Okay that's good to know, thanks. You don't happen to know that date do you?

9. 576

576 Established commenter

But it does happen.
    My first international interview took place in June. I was teaching in the UK so had passed the resignation date. They asked could I start in August and I said no.
    They still gave me the job and I started in January.

10. worlo24

Thanks 576 - that is positive. |Looking on the TES jobs page, there are quite a few jobs starting now so that is a good sign. I should be available to work mid September, so should only be a case of missing perhaps the first two weeks of term. Will have to see what happens

11. lottee1000

lottee1000 Occasional commenter

Worlo, sorry, no I don't know the date, and neither does anyone else! This year it was announced in the last week of August that schools were going back on the 3rd September, a week earlier than it used to be.