1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Getting a job after being accused of a Child Protection 'issue'

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by stephen2008, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Not too long ago I was accused of a child protection issue which has been dealt with and it has been found to have been partly malicious and partly contrived. I was interviewed by the police, but never arrested or charged.The Local Authority didn't take any action after considerable procrastination. My contract ran out during the (what seemed like endless) proceedings I initially decided that I didn't want to teach again, but now I am having second thoughts.
    I am aware that Local Authorities only do CRB checks after a job offer is made. I am also pretty sure that this will come up on my disclosure. Needless to say I will tell the truth if asked in the interview about this, and put it on any application form if required. I wonder if anybody knows if having this (unjust) black mark on my CRB would have a negative impact on any applications?

2. As well as advice from this forum (which I'm sure will be forthcoming soon) I think it might help for you to get some independent advice on this situation - you know, from people unrelated to teaching/authorities. First one that sprang to mind was the CAB and any other employment advisors you can think of that aren't connected to 'deciding' authorities. I think you could do with some support as well so you don't feel unjustly guilt ridden and unworthy every time you are interviewed for a job (or get it) and don't take this experience into your next employment - did you get any counselling at all? It must have been a horrible situation to go through and it will have knocked your confidence more than you realise.

3. cupofteacher

cupofteacher New commenter

I know of someone who was in a similar situation. It may not come up on your CRB as your CRB shows convictions, however my friend was told that it would be on their record for 2 years, even though the allegations were false. I am guessing this would be on the GTC record, which employers have access too, and possibly on a reference? Not too sure, but hope that helps.