1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Getting a job abroad ...CV problems...

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by mrjack, May 2, 2012.

1. mrjack

mrjack New commenter

HI Guys,
    I'm looking for some advice here. I did not apply for many international posts as I was quite specific about where I wanted to be, trouble is on my CV I have two stints abroad, the first was when I did some backpacking around ten years ago and also spent six months working in a school in a wester country, then five years later I did another 12 months abroad and did relief teaching in another wester country, I have since been back in the UK and spent 5 years in the same school.
    Do the two stints abroad reflect badly on my CV because they were 12 months or less?
    Should I consider omitting them from the CV ?
    Thanks in advance.

2. mrjack

mrjack New commenter

HI Guys,
    I'm looking for some advice here. I did not apply for many international posts as I was quite specific about where I wanted to be, trouble is on my CV I have two stints abroad, the first was when I did some backpacking around ten years ago and also spent six months working in a school in a wester country, then five years later I did another 12 months abroad and did relief teaching in another wester country, I have since been back in the UK and spent 5 years in the same school.
    Do the two stints abroad reflect badly on my CV because they were 12 months or less?
    Should I consider omitting them from the CV ?
    Thanks in advance.

3. Angelil

Angelil Occasional commenter

Don't omit them; gaps look worse. Remember you need to account for all your career time on a CV. I don't think it looks bad that they were for 12 months or less as long as you're able to explain why they were short (i.e. you weren't fired!). Put a positive spin on it :)

4. I can't think why it would be a problem. It shows you have some experience of the world and could work in your favor. It depends on the school you apply too in the UK I guess. Some Heads would see it as a positive, others wouldn't. Personally I wouldn't worry too much.

5. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

I wouldn't hide them or highlight them.
    They are experience and therefore should be included.
    They are not the most valued sort of experience, being for relatively short periods of time and with relatively low levels of responsibility. Unless you can clearly show something that made the experience unusually valuable to your professional growth, just mention them and move on.

6. seza-lou

seza-lou New commenter

I would certainly make sure tht I have no gaps in my CV. My first o/s stint in a school lasted a semester. I still put it in and explained the reasons why I resigned, it did not hurt me getting the job back home and certainly did not stop me from getting another position at an international school where I will be going into my 2nd year in the new school year.
    Gaps in my opinion look worse and as long as if you can be honest about the reasons then heads are less likely to dismiss it.

7. No gaps, no carp spellling.
    Letters of recommendation if possible.

8. I am a GrTP graduate working abroad who fell into teaching after 13 months travelling the world. This was my second time travelling and imbetween I worked in the Chemistry Industry. I've always included everything on my CV and actually, I think being abroad/ travelling has been of benefitto getting an interview. It can make you stand out from a crowd if you sell it!
    Best of luck.