1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

getting a job a broad

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by aweld, Feb 16, 2011.

1. hello i have been looking into working abroad, in either, Oz, New zealand or Notrth America. I have been working for two years as a teacher after completing a 4year primary qts with BA. I am deperate to get out there and start my life but after looking at all three immigration websites i just dont know where to begin as there is so many different processes. People tell me places like OZ and New Zealand are desperate for teachers but i cant seem to find my way in.
    any advice to where i can go to start the ball rolling?
    thanks Amber

2. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

Amber - is this a case of getting a job a broad or getting a broad a job?
    There are dozens and dozens of posts here for those who want to escape Britain but not its language. I think it would be easier for all of us if the TES separated the forum into 'Overseas: the English-Speaking World' and 'Overseas, International Schools' or some such.
    But even though this forum is cluttered up with people who have committed such serious crimes that they are comdemned to exile in Colombia or Egypt or wherever, there is still plenty of advice on Oz, NZ and USA, so dig deep, Amber.

3. kemevez

kemevez Occasional commenter

No comment.

4. stopwatch

stopwatch Occasional commenter

How about Oz, NZ or USA?

5. stopwatch

By 'real advice' do you mean the kind that is nice and gives you a warm fuzzy feeling inside?
    Instead you feel like you got lambasted by nasty horrible people who picked on your spelling and grammar.
    I see that you are a fairly new addition to the Teaching Overseas flock.
    Some pieces of 'real' advice:
    • If you intend to use this forum for a while to come, you will need to see the funny side of things.
    • You need to take or leave whatever advice is given to whichever threads you choose to start or contribute to.
    • You DO need to sort out your spelling and/or grammar. Although we all make mistakes in the flurry of thread contribution (after all we aren't writing letters of application here) you did seem to make quite a lot of mistakes.
    We aren't really a nasty lot here, and many/most are genuinely interested in helping, particularly the younger generation.
    Don't take my comments to heart, please [​IMG]

6. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

I am always helping the younger generation where I possible can. I enjoy out reach programmes where I can reach out to the young 18 to 21 crowd; but I'd rather my wife not get to hear about it. [​IMG]

7. I do not mind friendly 'banter'. However the posts that have now been removed did not really have any constructive advice. I would just like help on others experiences in obtaining a job in another country and how they went about it. So much waffle on the immigration websites I do not know where to begin

8. stopwatch

So did you request posts were removed because they criticised your spelling and grammar?
    I know it's an obvious q, but have you tried searching for threads on NZ, Aus and USA?
    If so, what wasn't on them that you need to know?

9. Had a previous post where i was put down by others for my grammar so could not be bothered with more on another post. I have seen posts where they talk in 'text speak' and I managed to refrain from commenting so I would rather have them removed. plus it is TES rules not criticising others.
    I have looked at other threads surrounding the problems I am facing. They tend to send me straight to the websites I have already looked at. Thought it would be good if someone could give a real experience of their process or any problems they have faced.

10. stopwatch

Well, regards NZ, USA, and Aus I have absolutely no experience, advice or help I can give you as I am only familiar with the ME and my UK/subject experiences.
    Regards your general TES experience I think you need to toughen up.
    TES rules may say no criticicism of such as spelling/grammar etc but I think you are being over sensitive and more than unrealistic.
    There are far tougher, nastier sites than this (not just on TES). Many are very useful and give good advice.
    Sorry if you don't like to hear this.

11. a pedant

a pedant New commenter

But, Amber, do you not think it might enhance your prospects of 'getting a job abroad' by presenting yourself well by improving your grammar and spelling?

12. I understand what your saying but one problem with this society is that people think they can insult people as they please. Maybe I am being over sensitve or maybe I am standing up for whats the right way to approach things, rather than letting people carry on being critical and it becoming the norm. Either way I am happy to receive advice from those who are constructive.
    Skills assessed online for OZ and qualified for two different types of entry. Waiting for a consultant to contact me. No idea if this will get me anywhere.

13. Yes i am sure it would do but I would ensure I took my time over my application rather than typing quickly on a internet forum. I mananged to get a 1st in my teaching degree which proves when I apply myself I can get it right. I am not going to let it worry me, just not the advice I came on here for!

14. stopwatch

Sorry aweld, but I think you are being both oversensitive and unrealsitic (see there is a speliing mistake - we all do it).
    More than one person (including me) has said that your grammar and sp need to be addressed (which it does). Saying your CV and/or LOA are perfect is a cop out.
    I also think you are only asking for 'warm fuzzy' feedback which is unrealsitic.
    It might seem to you that you are being insulted, but that is your perception of the TES Teaching Overseas forum not of reality.
    What is your definition of constructive criticism?

15. exactly two people commenting on something I did not want commenting on, simple as. Plus I never said my LOA was perfect but if it was then something wrong. Life is too short to be worrying about my spellings thats all that has annoyed me. I wont be posting on here in future. Im sure those thousand of children who struggle with spelling and grammar get somewhere in life just like me but at a struggle, when people point it out when there is not reason to. I guess there are people out there who teach who point things out when not need. end of I am on here about help getting a job in another country not for feedback on my spellings!

16. I'm just in from a couple of gallons, so have to be careful. If I was being suspicious I would say Amber has been taking us for a ride. I thought everyone knew that the US and Ozz were tough places to secure positions. You have to be right on the nail for them...and Amber hasn't been particularly accurate, at all!. NZ not so much, because no one really wants to know what life was like before television [​IMG]
    If the above is way off the mark and Amber is serious, be specific in your inquiries; where in Ozz, where in the US and 'why' in NZ...?
    I hope I can offer a collective 'sorry to go on about your grammar' but it needs a little honing.
    This is not strong...
    I presume your '1st' is in maths or a science - they're a pretty illiterate bunch. Brilliant, but illiterate.
    Hang on, gotta puke... [​IMG]
    Right, specificity, improved literacy skills and whatever you do, don't drink 16 stellars....too fast.
    Nonsense, only for the unfortunates and that ain't you; it lasts for a long, long time.

17. You are a delicate little flower, aren't you? It has to be said, then, in that case, that NZ (or Oz either for that matter) may not be for you.
    Then you haven't really looked at all. The NZ superthread is choc-full of real-life stories of people who have done it, the steps they took, frustrations and solutions etc., etc.
    I also know that higgi does a sterling service of advising people about the US and has done so many times in the past. It's all there for the finding..... (Pretty much of a no-go at the moment, according to those over there, unless you can offer something really special.)
    Oh, and by the way, it DOES pay to watch your spelling and grammar on here. Many hirer-firer types frequent these megabytes and I will add that I saw a NZ-based one posting on the NZ megathread just recently. Soooooo by firstly posting with atrocious spelling and grammar and then throwing your toys out of the cot when it was pointed out, you may just have scuppered your chances there.

18. Yeah, yeah, but when are they gonna get tele?
    Pots, kettles....
    Hope you had a good hols, Sidz.

19. MisterMaker

Now I'm not the type to offend people ([​IMG]) but I do find your tone to be out of kilt with the expatriate crowd. I really don't think International Teaching is the bag you should be getting into.
    It is fourgivable to make spellings mistakes, but to suggest spelling isn't important is childish.
    Sometimes your diction comes across as someone who is not first language English; having been around a bit one gets the sense very quickly when someone is simply careless or if they lack the expected skills for a born speaker of the language. Or it could be that you're a yoof who's nefer bin good enough to speak like dead good Englesh.
    If you are to give up writing here becuase you is afraid of the nasti poster boys - FP et al are all really so unfair, naughty boys - then it may be just as well to stop posting here. Your attitutude seems to that of someone who tends to give up quickly rather than improve himself.
    ----
    Please don't bover to complain about my 'intentioanl misteaks', although I have a feeling someone will,

20. MisterMaker

Do they even have electricity in that far off void?