1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Getting a child's story made into a book?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by takethatno1fan, Nov 15, 2011.

1. takethatno1fan

takethatno1fan New commenter

I am currently working 1:1 with a dyslexic child who is just amazing at story telling. He is currently writing the most amazing story (he is planning using a storyboard and I am recording his story using a dictaphone, which I am then typing for him).
    He is so talented and I can honestly tell you he is an inspiration. He is 9 years old and completely disillusioned with school, and this process of writing his own book has finally brought him to life and to believe in himself.
    Anyway, I really want to get this story made into a proper book for him when it is finished. Does anyone know where I can get this done and roughly how much it will cost?

2. takethatno1fan

takethatno1fan New commenter

I am currently working 1:1 with a dyslexic child who is just amazing at story telling. He is currently writing the most amazing story (he is planning using a storyboard and I am recording his story using a dictaphone, which I am then typing for him).
    He is so talented and I can honestly tell you he is an inspiration. He is 9 years old and completely disillusioned with school, and this process of writing his own book has finally brought him to life and to believe in himself.
    Anyway, I really want to get this story made into a proper book for him when it is finished. Does anyone know where I can get this done and roughly how much it will cost?

3. littlerussell

littlerussell New commenter

The problem with printing a one-off book is that the majority of costs are in the printer's one time set up costs, rather than the actual manufacture of a book.
    We have used inky little fingers who have an online quote system for printing costs.
    You are looking at probably £20-£30 for the first copy, and then £2-3 per copy after that (ie one book for £25 or five copies for £35). This is assuming a small number of pages - 16?
    They do both booklets (stapled, think theatre programme) and perfect bound paperbacks (glue bound).
    The process is quite straightfoward - you set it up as a word file, save as pdf (Office 2010 lets you do this, otherwise download primo pdf) and upload to their website. You get a proof back within about 24 hours, approve, pay and wait for it to arrive in the post. They are extremely helpful if you need phone/email support and the end product is a good quality print (although to make it look 'real' you need someone with pretty good Word skills to set up the document in the first place).
    www.inkylittlefingers.co.uk

4. I've used lulu.com and found it very cheap and very quick.

It's absolutely fine for single runs....